Topics Map > Apple Device Management
macOS (Managed and Personal) - Manually Mapping a Network Printer
The instructions below can be used to manually map networked printers to both university and personally owned Macs. Printer specific instructions can be offered to those who may wish to map a printer to a personally owned laptop as a courtesy to our users.
To begin, download and install any necessary printer drivers from the manufacturer. Once the print drivers have been successfully downloaded and installed, follow the set of instructions below based on the print server the printer queue is located on.
To manually map a Canon or other printer located on the uniflow-ps-01.ad.uwm.edu or adprint01.ad.uwm.edu print servers:
1. Click on the Apple menu->System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners
2. Click on the "plus (+)" button near the bottom of the printer list and select Add Printer or Scanner...
3.Select the Advanced option in the toolbar. If the Advanced option is missing, control-click a blank space in the toolbar, select Customize Toolbar..., drag the Advanced item onto the toolbar and select Done
4. From the Advanced menu, fill out the options and text boxes as follows:
a. Type: Windows printer via
b. Device: Another Device
c. URL: smb://uniflow-ps01.ad.uwm.edu/queue-name-here_PS
(alternately smb://adprint01.ad.uwm.edu/queue-name-here_PS for non-leased printers)
d. Name: Enter a name to uniquely identify the printer
e. Location: (this can be blank)
5. Use: Select Software...(select the installed software associated with the printer) and click Add
6. Specific printer options can be configured once the queue is setup by highlighting the queue and clicking the Options & Supplies...button