How To Use Remote Desktop for Windows
For Remote Desktop access to a Mac, please see: Mac (How To) Enable Screen Sharing
To request Remote Desktop access, click the following link and complete the form: Remote Access Request.
Two computers: the Remote computer, which you are connecting to, and Local computer, which you are connecting from.
UWM IT must grant you permission to use Remote Desktop on the Remote Computer. Request access by clicking here: Link
The Remote computer must be powered on and connected to the internet.
The Local computer must be connected to the UWM VPN or physically on the UWM campus.
You may use these instructions to install and connect to the UWM VPN: https://kb.uwm.edu/page.php?id=83286
Watch our video tutorial below, or scroll down for written instructions.
Remoting From A Local Computer
- In Windows 10: Press Windows Key to start a search, or click on the search field in the taskbar, and type "Remote Desktop" then select Remote Desktop Connection from the results.
- In the Computer field enter the IP address or "Full computer name" of the remote computer. If you do not know the full computer name, use the steps here: Finding the Computer Name on a University owned PC.
- Click Connect.
- In the User name field, enter your ePanther in this format: "AD\ePanther". If you have signed in previously, your username will be remembered.
- In the Password field, enter your ePanther password normally.
- You may receive a prompt reading "The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Do you want to connect anyway?" If so, check the box labelled "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer" and click the Yes button.