Canvas - What should I do to prepare for the start of my course? (Students)
beginning of course semester checklist canvas student it prepare begin
Finding Courses in Canvas
- All of your courses will be listed on your Dashboard, or in your Courses list. You should adjust favorites so the desired courses are on your Dashboard.
- Help! I'm missing a course!
- Student guide to using Collaborate Ultra
- Student training and support for Canvas including "Canvas Made Easy" starter guide
Prepare Your Computer
- Make sure your computer’s software is up-to-date.
(Update Windows 10, Update Mac OS)
- Use the latest version of Chrome or Firefox.
(Download Chrome, Download Firefox)
- Conduct an internet connection speed test. If your internet connection is slow (< 5Mbps) or fluctuates, consider contacting your ISP for assistance.
- Is something not working on the web?
- Consider installing apps on your computer if the web app isn't working
- Office apps for your computer are free for students!
- Install OneDrive
- Install Microsoft Teams
- Canvas and Collaborate Ultra are designed to work on the web exclusively.
- Is your course using Proctorio? Set-up and install Proctorio for Chrome.
Setting Up Your Webcam and Mic
Always test your webcam video and mic audio when using Collaborate Ultra or Teams.
- Set-up video and audio for Collaborate Ultra
- Set-up video and audio for Microsoft Teams - see "Make a Test Call"
Prepare Your Mobile Device
If you are using mobile devices to access your course, use apps to access university services as a best practice.
- Canvas Student apps
- Microsoft Office apps
- Microsoft Outlook apps
- Current browsers:
Check with your instructor to determine if other mobile apps are needed or suggested.
Where to go for assistance
- Canvas support for students
Contact Canvas Tier I Support
- Outlook, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, passwords and other IT issues
Contact the UWM Help Desk
- Pearson, McGraw-Hill, Cengage, Macmillan, W.W. Norton and other third-party tools
Contact customer support for these tools.