"Windows license will expire soon" error message - steps to resolve
Use these instructions to fix the error message "your Windows license will expire soon" on a UWM computer.
UWM computers must contact the UWM network every 180 days to keep their Windows license from expiring.
If you are using a UWM computer off-campus for an extended period, you should install and connect to the VPN to prevent your Windows license from expiring.
Resolve Windows License Error Message
Issue: an error message appears and reads Your Windows license will expire soon. You need to activate Windows in Settings.
Environment: UWM computer being used off-campus.
Steps to resolve the problem:
- Install the Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN client
- If you already have the GlobalProtect VPN installed, proceed to step 2
- Use the Software Center to install the application Palo Alto GlobalProtect
- If you have problems with the Software Center installation, you may perform a manual installation or contact IT support for help
- Connect to the GlobalProtect VPN client
- Use these instructions to connect to the VPN
- The license error message should resolve automatically.
- Connect regularly to the VPN to prevent the error message from recurring.