Topics Map > D2L > ePortfolio
Topics Map > D2L > Instructor Help
Topics Map > D2L > Student Help
Topics Map > D2L > Clickers
Topics Map > D2L > Course Learning Tools
D2L - About archiving courses, files and other data from D2L
Review this article to learn how to get access to information after the end-of-life of D2L on June 30, 2020, and to learn about departmental responsibilities for retaining information.
Is data from D2L available?
D2L was deactivated on July 1, 2020. There is no way to retrieve D2L information from the service.
Instructors and departments are responsbile for maintaining information from D2L in-compliance with retention policy. The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning also manages a collection of non-importable, anonymized data from D2L for select past semesters.
What information is archived?
Instructors and departments retain information specific to their needs which can include grade information, assignments, evaluations, statistics and records related to student work in courses.
Non-importable D2L archives containing select student grade/participation and course information are maintained by CETL. The archives are not suitable for every-day use and will not preserve the presentation of a course.
How long will D2L archives be kept by CETL?
|Kind of information||Terms Archived||Expiration Date|
||December 31, 2020|
||July 1, 2021|
||Ocboer 1, 2020|
||July 1, 2021|
||July 1, 2023|
D2L ePortfolio presentations will be inaccessible after June 29, 2019. Students had the option of exporting their ePortfolio to the MyDesire2Learn service. For access to ePortfolios, administrators and instructors should reach out to students directly.
Courses offered by UWM that are hosted on D2L at other institutions may not have been archived by the hosting institution. For additional information, contact the D2L support office for the hosting institution. Examples may include:
- Courses offered at an institution which concluded D2L use before July 1, 2019.
- Courses offered as part of a UW System eCampus program at an institution other than UWM.
- Courses offered at UWM Washington County or UWM Waukesha before September 1, 2019 (hosted by what is now UW Shared Services).
- Courses offered by the former UW Colleges Online institution (now UW College Courses Online).
- Courses offered by UW Independent Learning or the former UW-Extension (now UW Extended Campus).
About for-credit grades
UW System institutions retain final grades indefinitely.
- The online system-of-record at UWM is PAWS.
- UWM Washington County and UWM Waukesha student access to final grades will vary.
- For courses taken before September 1, 2019, students may request transcripts of their final grades.
- For courses taken after September 1, 2019, final grades are listed in PAWS.
Students taking UWM courses offered by other UW System institutions should refer to the student information system for their institution. Non-UWM students from the community should consult with the school/college offering the course for guidance.
Do you need help accessing past course information offered in D2L?
- Students should contact the instructor of the course to see if information has been stored and is available. If the instructor is unavailable or does not have information, contact the department which offered your course. If your department is unable to help, contact the UWM Help Desk for further assistance.
- Instructors should contact their department leadership, administrative support and school/college teaching and learning support to ask for any copies of information first. If information is not available, contact CETL for further assistance.
- Departments should contact CETL for further assistance.