Find Computer Inventory data for a UWM division or department
This article outlines how to find computer inventory data for UWM divisions and departments.
Computer asset data for UWM is tracked in a SharePoint list called the "Computer Asset Tracking List." A link to the list is available here: Link
Access to Data
UWM's computer asset data is tracked on a secure intranet site that is only accessible to these groups:
- UWM IT service professionals
- UWM Faculty & staff with a role in managing computer inventories (such as a business manager or budget coordinator)
To request access to this data, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an explanation of how you will use the data for your job duties.
Inventory for an entire UWM School, College, or Division
Data in the Computer Asset Tracking List is displayed using a Sharepoint View. Inventories for a school, college, or division can be looked up by clicking a link below to a corresponding SharePoint View:
- Academic Affairs: Academic Affairs computers
- Education: Education computers
- Enrollment Management: Enrollment Management computers
- Finance & Administrative Affairs: FAA computers
- Health Sciences: Health Sciences computers
- Letters & Science: Letters and Science computers
- Public Health: Public Health computers
- Social Welfare: Social Welfare computers
- Student Affairs: Student Affairs computers
Inventory for a specific UWM Department
Inventories for a specific UWM department are best gathered by starting from a School, College, or Division view (above). Select the view for the School, College, or Division that the Department is housed under. For instance, if you wanted to look up the department "English" you would begin from the view for College of Letters & Science.
Once you have the appropriate view open, you can use either of two methods to filter down to data for a specific department or departments.
Method 1: SharePoint filtering
- Find the SharePoint column for Department and left-click it.
- A drop-down menu appears. In the menu, select Filter By.
- A checkbox list of department names will appear. Check the box next to the department(s) you want to see. You may select multiple departments.
- When you have selected all the departments you want to see, click Apply.
- The SharePoint view will be updated, filtering to only the departments you selected. You may view the inventory data in your browser.
- You may change your remove your department filter by repeating these steps.
Method 2: Excel Export (Windows Only)
Note: this method only works on Windows. MacOS versions of Microsoft Excel cannot support this function.
- At the top of the SharePoint list view, click the Export to Excel button.
- Your internet browser will download a file named query.iqy. Open this file using Microsoft Excel.
- Excel may prompt you that the file is a potential security concern. This is normal for this type of operation. Click the Enable button to continue.
- In the Import Data dialog box, leave the default selections in place and click OK.
- Your SharePoint data becomes available in an Excel table. Find the table column labelled Department.
- In the Department column, click the arrow at the top-right of the column header.
- The column filtering menu appears. Use the checkboxes to filter to only the departments you want to show.
- You can click (Select all) to select or de-select all check boxes
- You can type a department name in to the Search box to find it in a long list.
- When you have only the departments you want selected, click the OK button.
- Excel shows the data for only the departments you selected. You can now save the spreadsheet, edit it further, or share it with others.