Topics Map > Security
Topics Map > Account > Muti-Factor Authentication
Duo - Hardware Token Resync
If you are unable to authenticate with Duo using your Hardware Token and receive an "incorrect passcode" message after entering the generated code, you may need to trigger a resync your Hardware Token.
Your Duo Hardware Token may have fallen out of sync due to one of the following reasons:
- If the button is pressed many times and the generated codes are not used. For example, if a token is stored in a bag, it may cause the button to accidentally be pressed many times.
- If the battery is dying because the token is old or has been used very frequently. Generally, the Duo Hardware Token battery should last for a minimum of two years.
Please visit the Duo Hardware Token Resync page to resync your Hardware Token with the Duo service and follow these steps:
1. Enter your UWM email address into the Email Address field:
2. Generate 3 codes from your Hardware Token and enter them sequentially into the Code 1, Code 2, and Code 3 fields. To do this, you will need to press the button 3 separate times on your Token with a 30 second pause in-between each press so a new code can be generated each time:
3. Complete the captcha and then click the submit button:
4. Once your Duo Hardware Token has been resynced, you will receive an e-mail confirmation:
You can then proceed with authenticating with Duo using your Hardware Token.
If you need or need additional assistance with Duo, please contact the UWM Help Desk at (414) 229-4040, toll free at (877) 381-3459, visit Bolton Hall 225, or submit a request online at gettechhelp.uwm.edu.