Topics Map > Security
Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > OneDrive
Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > SharePoint
Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > Teams
Topics Map > Storage > uFiles
Topics Map > Storage > OneDrive
Topics Map > Storage > SharePoint
OneDrive for Business, Teams, SharePoint Online, and uFiles Overview
There are two major file storage and collaboration services provided to UWM students, faculty and staff. Faculty and staff have all these options available to them and enrolled students have OneDrive and Teams.
Key Features of OneDrive
- OneDrive for Business is the equivalent of a personal file share and is cloud based file storage.
- Used for personal or ad-hoc collaboration.
- Owned by an individual by default. Files are private by default unless explicitly shared.
- When an individual leaves the university, their associated OneDrive account and data is deleted. This includes files/folders that were shared with other individuals.
- High Risk data cannot be stored in OneDrive, but Moderate Risk and Low Risk data can be. See the Data Classifications Procedure for more information.
Key Features of Teams & SharePoint
- Teams is a collaboration space that is team or group based.
- Allows members to participate in online conversations, join meetings, share files, take notes and share screens all in a single platform.
- All Teams include an associated Team SharePoint site or Team site.
- Multiple channels within a Team site allows for setting up inherited permissions instead of setting detailed permissions for files.
- Team sites and their document libraries live independently of individuals.
- High Risk, Moderate Risk and Low Risk data can be stored in Team SharePoint with proper controls. See the Data Classifications Procedure for more information.
Key Features of uFiles
- uFiles is a fee-based local storage service for individuals or groups.
- Used for business continuity documents, structured collaboration or formal document management.
- File shares appear as mapped drives and are only accessible on university owned computers.
- Documents and files housed on the service are not accessible from off-campus without using our VPN service and cannot be shared with off-campus individuals.
- File shares live independently of individuals.
- High Risk, Moderate Risk and Low Risk data can be stored in uFiles. See the Data Classifications Procedure for more information.
For more information, please see the UWM Information Security Data Classification and Criticality Standards and UWM Document and Collaboration Services Guidelines documents.