Topics Map > General Knowledge
Topics Map > Account > Muti-Factor Authentication
Microsoft MFA (How To) Adding a Hardware Token as an Authentication Method
This article explains how to add a pre-configured hardware token as an authentication method in Microsoft MFA.
If you have enrolled in Microsoft Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) using two methods (Microsoft Authenticator app, phone number, alternate email, security questions) and have now obtained a pre-configured hardware token (FOB), follow the steps below to authenticate with the hardware token and to set it as your primary authentication method.
Note: You must have received a pre-configured hardware token to complete these steps. Duo hardware tokens will not work.
- Log into Microsoft 365 at: https://uwm.edu/office365.
- Sign in with your UWM email address and password.
- The next screen will prompt you to Verify your identity. Choose Use a verification code from my mobile app.
- The next screen will prompt you to authenticate; press the button on the left side of the hardware token and enter the 6-digit code from the token screen in the Code text box.
Note: You must have received a pre-configured hardware token to complete this step. Duo hardware tokens will not work.
- Once the code is entered, you can click the Don’t ask again for 14 days checkbox so you do not have to authenticate on this computer and browser for 14 days.
- Click the Verify button to move on to the next step.
- You will see the Stay signed in? screen, clicking Yes will reduce how many times you are asked to sign in.
- You will now be logged into Microsoft 365. In the upper right corner of the screen, click your person icon (your initials or your photo). From the menu choose View account.
- Click the UPDATE INFO link on the Security info tab.
- On the Security info page, you will see your Default sign-in method.
- Click the Change link after your current default sign-in method.
- In the Change default method box, click the drop-down arrow and from the list choose Authenticator app or hardware token-code.
- Click the Confirm button.
- Your primary authentication method has been changed to your hardware token.
- Upon your next login requiring authentication, you will be prompted to enter a hardware code by default: