Topics Map > Account > Multi-Factor Authentication
Microsoft MFA (How To) Adding a Hardware Token as an Authentication Method
If you have enrolled in Microsoft Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) using two methods (Microsoft Authenticator app, phone number, alternate email, security questions) and have now obtained a pre-configured hardware token (FOB), follow the steps below to authenticate with the hardware token and to set it as your primary authentication method.
Note: You must have received a pre-configured hardware token to complete these steps. Duo hardware tokens will not work.
- Log into Microsoft 365 at: https://uwm.edu/office365.
- Sign in with your UWM email address and password.
- The next screen will prompt you to Verify your identity. Choose Use a verification code from my mobile app.
- The next screen will prompt you to authenticate; press the button on the left side of the hardware token and enter the 6-digit code from the token screen in the Code text box.
Note: You must have received a pre-configured hardware token to complete this step. Duo hardware tokens will not work.
- Click the Verify button to move on to the next step.
- You will see the Stay signed in? screen, clicking Yes will reduce how many times you are asked to sign in.