Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > Email
Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > Mac
Topics Map > Operating Systems > Mac
M365 Outlook (Mac) Check Spelling and Grammar
In Outlook for Windows, there is an option to always check spelling before sending an e-mail message. Outlook for Mac does not have this option; instead it checks for spelling errors as you type. Outlook uses a dashed, red underline to indicate possible spelling errors. You can also check spelling at any time by using the Spelling button.
Check spelling automatically as you type:
By default, Outlook checks for spelling errors as you type. Outlook uses a dashed, red underline to indicate possible spelling errors.
- When you see a word with a dashed, red underline, hold down the Control key , and then click on the word.
- When you click a word, a small shortcut menu will appear. On the shortcut menu, do one of the following:
TO GET THIS:
|Choose from a list of suggested corrections||Click one of the guesses at the top of the shortcut menu.|
|Remove the dashed, red underline for one of instance of a word||Click Ignore All.|
|To add a word to the spelling dictionary||Click Add to Dictionary.|
Turn off Spelling and Grammar Check
- To turn off automatic spell check, click on Outlook.
- Then click on Preferences, and a pop up screen will appear with several options.
- In the upper right hand corner choose Spelling & Grammar.
- Next, clear the check mark under the category of "Spelling" to Check spelling as you type.
- If you want to turn off grammar checks, then on the same page as the "Spelling" category is the "Grammar" category. Under the category of "Grammar" clear the check mark next to Check grammar as you type.
Correct spelling automatically
Outlook automatically correct some commonly misspelled words. For example, if you type freind, Outlook changes it to friend.
Note: This feature is available only with Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later.
To add to the list of words that would be automatically changed:
- On the Preferences menu, select the AutoCorrect button. The pop up menu will change to a list of all the words and symbols that are registered to replace with the correct spelling. (For example, "Ameria" will be replaced with "America") There is a small plus and minus sign on the bottom left corner of the list.
- Select the plus sign to add a word to the list.
- Write the mistaken spelling in the "Replace" box and then write the correct spelling in the "With" box.