Topics Map > Account > Muti-Factor Authentication
Duo - Replacing a Mobile Device
If you want to replace an old mobile device with a new one to authenticate with Duo, you will need to follow this set of instructions.
Setting up the New Mobile Device
First, download and install the Duo Mobile application on the new mobile device (can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or iOS App Store).The new mobile device must meet Duo Mobile's minimum requirements:
- You must have a screen lock on the mobile device enabled which can be in the form of a password, PIN, pattern, a fingerprint/Touch ID, or Face ID.
- Your mobile device may not be rooted/jail-broken. You must restore your device to the manufacturer authorized operating system to meet this requirement.
Replace the Old Mobile Device with the New Mobile Device
Next, you will need to navigate to https://uwm.edu/duodashboard and log into the Duo Dashboard. This will require second factor authentication.
- If you have the old mobile device or another mobile device enrolled with your Duo account, you can send a push notification to it or enter a passcode from Duo Mobile to authenticate.
- If you have a hardware token enrolled with your Duo account, you can generate a passcode from this device to authenticate.
- If neither of the above options are applicable to you, you will have to generate a Duo bypass code to authenticate. Please see our instructions on generating a Duo Bypass Code.
Once you have completed the necessary authentication, you will be directed to the Duo Dashboard and can begin the process for replacing the device:
- Click the Duo Account Management button.
- Under the Mobile Devices section, navigate to the segment containing the old device information. In that segment, click the Replace Device button. This will generate a QR code.
- With the new device, open Duo Mobile and click the + near the top-right corner.
- With the new device, scan the QR code.
- In the Duo Dashboard, click the Test Activation button.
- The Duo Dashboard will refresh itself and the new device information will replace the old device information under the Mobile Devices section, indicating you have successfully completed the replacement process.
If you see a message indicating the test activation failed or see that the Status of the new mobile device is "Inactive", please contact the UWM Help Desk at (414) 229-4040, toll free at (877) 381-3459, or submit a request online at gettechhelp.uwm.edu.