Topics Map > Office 365 > Email
Office 365 (Outlook 2013) - How to Export/Import Email
When students are entering the deprovision cycle, exporting and importing mail can be important to maintain important emails and attachments. This document explains how to do so in Outlook 2013.
1. This export process needs to be done in the Outlook desktop client. All students and faculty can download a free copy of Outlook 2013 for Windows (part of Office 365 ProPlus - download instructions).
2. After Outlook has been installed, it will need to be setup/configured: Outlook 2010/2013 - Windows Setup/Configuration
3. The account in Outlook must have the offline cache mode set to "All". This way, all the e-mail is downloaded locally. To do so, click File, followed by Info, then Account Settings, and finally Account Settings.... After selecting your account, click Change..., and move the "Mail to Keep offline" slider to "All".
4. After the slider has been set to "All", select File in the upper left-hand corner and select Options.
5. In the "Outlook Options" window, select Advanced along the left-hand side, and click Export under the "Export" heading.
6. In the "Import and Export Wizard" window, select Export to a file, and then select Next >.
7. In the "Export to a File" window, select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then select Next >.
8. In the "Export Outlook Data File" window, select the desired folders to export. It is probably best to select the top heading which will be your "ePantherID@uwm.edu". After this, make sure to check the box next to Include subfolders. Click Next >.
9. In the "Export Outlook Data File" window, select Finish.
NOTE: Select Browse... to save to a different location on your computer or rename the .pst file.
10. In the "Create Outlook Data File" window, choose whether or not to enter a password and select OK.
NOTE: Choosing a password is optional. If you make a password and forget the password, there is no way to retrieve it or open the .pst file being created. Be sure to keep track of any password created.
1. To import a new email account into Outlook, select File in the upper left-hand corner, followed by Info, then Account Settings, and finally Account Settings....
2. In the "Account Settings" window, select New... under the "Email" tab.
3. The link to the following website offers many options for how to setup various email services. in Outlook. The link leads to an example for Gmail in Outlook 2013, but other instructions can be found when hovering over the other email services.
5. In the "Import and Export Wizard" window, select Import from another program or file, and then click Next >.
6. In the "Import a File" window, select Import Data File (.pst), and then click Next >.
7. In the "Import Outlook Data File" window, select your .pst file (if you saved to the default location, it should automatically pull up the file location), and then click Next >.
8. In the following "Import Outlook Data File" window, choose Import items into the same folder in:, and then, in the dropdown menu, choose the folder for the new account that was just created for the other email service. After this, click Finish.
NOTE: After the transfer is complete, login to the email service with which you created an account in the Outlook client, and verify that the emails have transferred to the other email service.
Additionally, the export and import process could take a very long time depending on how much email is in an account.