Topics Map > Office 365 > SharePoint
Office 365 (SharePoint) - How to access SharePoint files from within Office 2016 suite on Windows
Using the Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Suite applications for Windows, you can "sign in" to your UWM Office 365 account from within the applications in order to interact with your SharePoint files. This will allow you to create, open, edit, and save Office files directly using these Office applications.
Signing in to Office 365
1. Open any of the Office 2016 desktop applications (e.g.: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher, etc.). For this article, we will use Word 2016. Click "Sign in to get the most out of Office":
2. Enter your UWM email address in the Sign in text box and then click Next:
3. In the Office 365 log in screen, enter your UWM email address and password and then click "Sign in":
Opening existing files from your UWM SharePoint:
1. Verify that you have successfully signed in to your UWM Office 365 account by seeing your name and UWM email address on the right side of the "Open" screen in your Office 2016 application (Word is shown here). Then, at the bottom of the "Recent" column of the left side of the window, click "Open Other Documents":
2. Under the "Open" column on the left-hand side of the window, click Sites - UWM , and then your UWM SharePoint folders and files will be shown on the right-hand column of the Window. You can navigate your file/folder structure and select any Word document to open:
Saving a new document to your UWM SharePoint:
1. Create a new document in your Office application (Word is shown here). Once you are ready to save it, click on "File":
2. Click "Save As":
3. Verify that your SharePoint library is selected in the "Browse" column on the left-hand portion of the screen. Then, you can select one of the from your UWM SharePoint on the right-hand portion of the screen:
4. The "Save As" window will appear. You can click "Save" to save the file in the current location or navigate to a different location in your library.