ePortfolio - Work Done Prior to the Portfolio
There are steps that need to be completed prior to working with the ePortfolio.
Basic Information:This document outlines
the basics of ePortfolio creation. This document is part of a series on
ePortfolio creation. Please see the "next" or "previous" section at the bottom of this document for further instructions on ePortfolio management.
Before you can do anything with the portfolio there are two things that need to happen:
- you will need to generate the content that will form the body of your portfolio
- you will need to locate your course template (if this is a requirement of your program) and import that into your D2L space.
- Faculty will have instructions about what artifacts you will need to complete for your portfolio, or you can visit the preview in the template library to view what is required. All work should be done and saved in a word processing program so that in the event of a catastrophic failure and loss of your portfolio (hey, it has happened), you at least still have all of your content and proof of your work.
- The template library was created to be a standard repository of all program portfolio templates. From within the library you can download any template as a ZIP file, preview a template to see what it looks like, or when available view a completed example of a portfolio.
Importing your template
If you are following along and working through this, then you will have already located your template, and all that you need to do is download the zip-file and import it in D2L.
1. Go to the template library and find your template, based on your program. Click the name of the file to download the zip-file to your computer.
2. This next step is very important. Do not unzip or extract the zipped file.
Depending on your operating system and browser combination, your computer might automatically unzip the file when you download it.
If it does, you will need to zip the file again before proceeding to the next step.
If you are unsure how to do that, then search for instructions online based on your operating system.
3. Go into your class ePortfolio area on D2L, and click My Items.
4. Click the More Actions drop-down menu and select Go to Import/Export page.
5. Click the Import button.
6. Click Choose File and select the zip-file you downloaded earlier, and then click the blue Next button.
7. The package will take a little while to prepare. Once it has finished, click the blue Import button.
8. You should receive a message that the import is in progress. Wait a few minutes before checking on the template in your My Items. For now, click Done.
9. After waiting a bit, you can check to see that the import succeeded by clicking ePortfolio at the top again and then selecting My Items to see the contents of your ePortfolio space.