Topics Map > Web
SOIS Webspace (How To) Connect via SFTP
SOIS students will be provisioned webspace in which they will be able to complete their coursework. Further information on this service is provided on the UWM SOIS webpage at https://uwm.edu/informationstudies/students/it-department/tutorials/student-web-space/ Following are instructions on how to connect to that webspace.
Users will need to install FileZilla before following these instructions. FileZilla can be obtained via free download at https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
Using FileZilla, enter the following information.
- Hostname: soisweb.uwm.edu
- Username: Your Webspace username (ePantherID)
- Password: Your Webspace password (this will be different than your normal UWM password)
- Port: 22
Once you successfully login to the server you will see the file structure of the server in the SFTP software.
Issues with Connecting
Sometimes there are issues with connecting to the server. Most of the time the error that shows is 'Authentication Failed' . This can generally be resolved by slightly editing the login parameters.
- In the 'Port' Field, try specifying port 22
- In the 'Host' Field, try adding sftp:// to the front.
If all of these options fail, try resetting your webspace password (SOIS Webspace - Password Reset (uwm.edu))