Topics Map > General Knowledge
Topics Map > Microsoft 365
Topics Map > General UWM Knowledge
Topics Map > Classrooms
Video Conferencing at UWM - FAQ for Faculty and Staff
UWM supports two options for video conferencing services"
- Microsoft Teams is recommended for most meetings and video chats
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is recommended for online instruction using video
The wide array of features offered by these services can accommodate nearly any video conferencing need.
This FAQ is intended to help you select the correct service for your needs and find resources to get you up and running.
- Where can I compare the features of the available services?
- A table comparing the features of the available video conferencing services can be seen here: https://kb.uwm.edu/cetl/98758
- Zoom is listed in the table for comparison only. Zoom is not supported or recommended as a video conferencing solution at UWM.
- Where can I learn more about the approved video conferencing platforms, or attend training classes for the platforms?
- How should I organize a video meeting with other UWM employees?
- What service should I use if my meeting has external (non-UWM) participants?
- Both Teams and Collaborate Ultra meetings can be joined by external participants. No UWM account is required.
- You can invite any email address to Teams meeting. The address will receive a link to join the Teams meeting online.
- What should I do when the contents of my meeting are confidential, especially FERPA- or HIPAA-related?
- Use Microsoft Teams for meetings where sensitive information will be present, such as FERPA or HIPAA data.
- Teams supports “end-to-end encryption” which protects all of the contents of your meetings from viewing by outside parties.
- UWM has entered into a legal agreement with Microsoft that certifies the security of meeting contents on Teams, including meeting all FERPA and HIPAA security requirements.
- My meeting needs to have many simultaneous videos, more than the nine available in Microsoft Teams. What platform should I use?
- Teams is still recommended for meetings that require many simultaneous videos. Teams will support up to 49 simultaneous videos in an update planned for Fall 2020.
- My meeting needs to have breakout rooms. What platform should I use?
- I want to use Zoom, or another alternative platform—how do I get access to this service?
- UWM’s IT advisory council has adopted Teams and Collaborate Ultra as the video conferencing solutions for our campus. Zoom is not recommended or supported for any reason.
- Alternative videoconference platforms like Zoom are acceptable only for documented business needs that cannot reasonably be addressed by the University’s standard videoconference platforms. Requesters will need to demonstrate this exceptional need specifically when making any request to procure Zoom licenses. In general, personal preference for, or familiarity with, an alternative platform is not considered a business need.
- Should a campus unit believe it has a business need for Zoom, it may contact Campus Technology Support through the IT procurement request page: