Topics Map > PAWS
Topics Map > Registrar's Office > Faculty/Staff
Topics Map > Registrar's Office > Students
PAWS - Adding and Searching for Classes
This article is in relation to adding classes using class numbers, class search, and planner.
You can easily make changes to your schedule in PAWS before classes begin. Always double-check the changes you make in PAWS by reviewing my class schedule in the Academics section.
If you have questions about your schedule, contact your Academic Advisor. If you’re having trouble with PAWS, call the Help Desk at (414) 229-4040 or toll free at (877) 381-3459.
There are two primary ways to search for classes when you are ready to enroll: the Schedule Planner and a PAWS Class Search.
You can get sections into your Shopping Cart through either route, but see below to discover the best option for you.
The Schedule Planner is a tool designed to help you efficiently build your class schedule. The tool allows you to pick courses and build in break/busy times for work or other obligations. Then it automatically generates all possible class schedules and can validate your eligibility to enroll in your selected courses.
- Log in to PAWS
- Under the Academics header, click on the Schedule Planner link
- Click the OPEN SCHEDULE PLANNER button (make sure pop-up blocker is disabled)
- Use the onscreen options to select your term, filter and identify courses, add in break/busy times, then generate possible schedules
- When you identify the schedule you want, click Validate to make sure you’re eligible to enroll in all the courses on that schedule
- Click the Send to Shopping Cart button
- Return to your PAWS window to complete the enrollment process
- Click the NEXT button to set your class preferences for each course.
- Click the ENROLL button to enroll in courses.
- Click the I Agree button to agree to accept financial responsibility for your tuition and fees that apply to your enrollment.
- Click the CONTINUE button to confirm your enrollment.
Please Note: Review Enrollment Checklist and Enrollment Appointment. Any stated prerequisites (enrollment requirements) also need to be met for the specific sections you select as part of your schedule before enrollment can be completed.
PAWS Class Search
- Log in to PAWS
- Under the Academics header, click on the Search link
- Enter one or more search criteria, such as Course Subject or Course Keyword
- Click the SEARCH button to view your results
- If you receive a message that your search will return more than 50 classes, click OK to continue or Cancel to enter more criteria
- The class status will be coded as Open (green circle), Closed (red square), or Wait Listed (yellow triangle)
- Click on the blue Section Number to view the Class Details page
- From the Class Details page, you can add a class to your Shopping Cart by clicking Select Class
- A new optional feature is the “Validate” button in your shopping cart. Clicking this will confirm whether or not you are eligible to enroll in the courses in your cart.
Once you’ve identified classes for enrollment, there are steps you need to take to complete the enrollment process. And sometimes you aren’t able to complete the enrollment process in PAWS, and those situations are covered below, as well.
Adding Classes in PAWS
- Once all of your classes are in your Shopping Cart, check the boxes in the Select column and click the enroll button
- Review the Confirm classes page, then click the FINISH ENROLLING button
- A green check mark in the Status column confirms you have enrolled successfully
- If your request was not successful, a Red X with an error message will appear in the Status column
- When you finish enrolling, double-check your changes by reviewing the my class schedule sub-tab
If you have questions or need assistance adding classes, contact your Academic Advisor or the UWM One Stop.
Permission Needed to Enroll
If you are unable to add a course in PAWS, you may be able to gain permission to enroll in the course. Some permissions are granted by the instructor or department offering the course, while others are granted by your academic advisor – and some require approval from both.
There are two primary methods of gaining permission to enroll in a course:
- A paper-based Add/Drop Form. This form requires your signature as the student, and also has places for department/instructor and school/college (academic advisor) signatures, depending on the nature of the permission. Make sure to fill out the class information completely on the form before submitting it. Completed forms can be submitted to the Registrar’s Office via online form, in-person, or fax.
- A Class Permission in PAWS. This is a permission assigned within PAWS that allows you to enroll in the class yourself via PAWS.
The following chart explains the typical reasons for permission, the approvals required, and the method of receiving permission:
|You want to take more credits than the maximum credit load allowed||Academic Advisor||Class Permission|
|You want to repeat a course beyond the allowed limit (speak to the course instructor also)||Academic Advisor||Add/Drop Form|
|The class status is closed, but you want to enroll anyway||Instructor or Department||Class Permission or Add/Drop Form|
|You don't meet the course prerequisites but feel you're ready to take the class anyway||Instructor or Department||Class Permission or Add/Drop Form|
|The course requires an instructor's consent to enroll||Instructor or Department||Class Permission or Add/Drop Form|
|The "Add Deadline" has passed, but you want to enroll in the class anyway||Academic Advisor & Instructor||Add/Drop Form|
|The "Drop With W Deadline" has passed, but you want to drop the class anyway||Academic Advisor & Instructor||Add/Drop Form|
Identifying Instructors or Departments for Approval
The instructor of a course is typically listed on the Schedule of Classes or the class listing in PAWS. If no instructor appears, or you are unable to contact the instructor, you can contact the academic department to seek permission to enroll. Contact information for departments typically can be found through a search on the UWM home page, although you also should be able to find that information listed in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Identifying School/College for Approval
School/college approvals pertain to a your primary program of study or major.
For graduate students, school/college approvals are granted by the Graduate School.
For undergraduate students, school/college approvals are granted by your academic advising unit.
For non-degree (“university special”) undergraduate students, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions provides school/college approval.
- Click on the “My Academics” link in the Academics section of your Student Center.
- A section called “My Program” will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
- If your Career is Graduate, your school/college is always the Graduate School.
- If your Career is Undergraduate, your school/college is identified in the Program listing (e.g., Business-Undergraduate).
- If the Program listing indicates University Special, see “Non-Degree Undergraduate Students” below.
|Office of Graduate Education, Graduate School
Office: MIT 261
|Degree-Seeking Undergraduate Students|
|Academic Opportunity Center
Office: MIT 173
|School of Architecture and Urban Planning
Office: AUP 225
|Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business
Office: LUB N297
|School of Education
Office: END 209
|College of Engineering and Applied Science
Office: EMS E386
|Global Studies Program
Office: GAR 111/113
Phone: 414-229-6925 or 414-229-3042
|Helen Bader School of Social Welfare
Office: END 1110
|College of Health Sciences
Office: NWQ B 6451
|School of Information Studies
Office: NWQ B 3550
|College of Letters and Science
Office: HOL 142
|College of Nursing
Office: CUN 135
|Peck School of the Arts
Office: THR 120
|Non-Degree Undergraduate Students|
|Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Office: Vogel Hall Visitor’s Center