Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > Email
Office 365 (Outlook on the Web) - Opening Shared Mailboxes and Editing Membership/Ownership
This article describes the process for opening shared mailboxes in Outlook on the web as well as editing shared mailbox membership and ownership.
Follow these steps to open a group account as a shared mailbox.
1. From the Outlook on the Web, click your name/profile picture in the upper-right corner and select Open another mailbox...
2. In the open another mailbox window, type the shared mailbox's full UWM email address (i.e., email@example.com) and click "Search Directory" (if you've opened this mailbox before, the name should appear as you type).
3. Select the mailbox you wish to open from the menu.
4. Click Open and the shared mailbox will open in another browser tab.
5. View and send emails for your shared mailbox in the new tab.
- A blank screen with the words Bad request.
- An error message stating: You don't have permission to open this mailbox. (This may appear after the first error message if the client attempts to enter the mailbox again.)
1. From Outlook on the Web in your mailbox (NOT the shared mailbox), Click on the Gear Icon next to your profile picture and select "View all Outlook Settings" toward the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. Select the group you wish to edit under the Distribution groups I own heading (remember that distribution groups associated with shared mailboxes end in -firstname.lastname@example.org) and click the pencil icon:
2. Click the + icon to add a new member (or select an existing member and click the - icon to remove them).
3. Search for the new member's name or email address and click the + next to their name.
4. The persons name will appear under the save button at the top of the window to confirm that you have selected that person.
5. Click Save to keep any changes you made.
1. Click ownership along the left side of the Distribution Group window to edit the group's owners.
2. Click the + icon to add a new owner (or select an existing owner and click the - icon to remove them).
3. Search for the new owner's name or email address and click the + next to their name.
4. Click Save to keep any changes you made.