Phishing Reporting Procedure
The UWM Help Desk asks clients to report phishing attempt emails they have received. Microsoft often institutes a filter for these types of emails, so simply forwarding it will not properly report the email. Here are the steps to properly report phishing attempt emails:
For more information on phishing, click here.
1. Log into Outlook on the web.
2. Right click the email message and select View Message Details.
3. Copy the information in the Message Details window that opens and paste it into a new text edit/Word document. Save the file (you can delete it immediately after attaching it to the email) and attach the file to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Double click on the email you wish to report in order to open it in its own window
2. Click on the small arrow to the right of "Tags"
3. Copy the information in the Internet headers box at the bottom and paste it into a new text edit/Word document. The easiest way to do this is to click anywhere in the Internet headers box, hold down control and tap 'A' to select all, and the while still holding down control, tap 'C' to copy. You can then paste the information into your text/Word document. Save the file (you can delete it immediately after attaching it to the email) and attach the file to an email addressed to email@example.com.
4. Create a new email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the message by drag and drop into the email or by clicking Attach file at the top and locating the text/word file.