The OneDrive sync client is available for those who prefer managing their files using a desktop application over a web browser. To use the desktop sync client, you must install it and sync your library. Once synced, your OneDrive for Business library will appear as a folder on your computer from which you can view, upload, and share.
For information regarding the OneDrive sync client on University-owned Windows computers, please see our knowledge base article. Additional questions about the OneDrive sync client for personal computers or University-owned computers should be directed to the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040 or submit a request via the Get Tech Help web portal.
If you're already syncing a personal Microsoft OneDrive account on your computer (for example, email@example.com), you will need to proceed with the steps in the installing the OneDrive sync client section, since you may be using an outdated version of the sync client which lacks support for syncing OneDrive for Business accounts.
2. In the lower right-hand corner of the screen, click the Get the OneDrive apps link:
3. The OneDrive for Windows website will load. Click the Download link button under "OneDrive":
4. Save the installation file in a convenient location on your computer (this process will differ by Internet browser). Then, open the file and follow the steps to install OneDrive sync client on your computer (this process will take a few minutes):
5. If you were previously using the legacy OneDrive for Business sync client to sync your UWM OneDrive for Business library, you do not need to continue to set up the new OneDrive sync client and the upgrade process is now complete.
You'll want set up OneDrive so that you can connect to your UWM Office 365 account.
1. If the "Set up OneDrive" window isn't already on your screen, then click the Start button, search for OneDrive and then open it:
2. In the "Set up OneDrive" window that appears, enter your UWM email address and click the Sign in button:
3. Enter your password in the text box and then click the Sign in button:
4. The resulting "This is your OneDrive folder" screen will appear and will show you where your OneDrive for Business sync folder is located on your computer. You can click the Next button:
5. In the "Sync files from your OneDrive" screen that appears, you can choose to check the Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive to sync the entire contents of your OneDrive for Business library, or choose individual folders under "Sync only these folders". Once you have made your selection(s), click the Next button:
6. The "Your OneDrive is ready for you" screen will appear and you can click the Open my OneDrive - University of Wisconsin Milwaukee folder button to show your OneDrive sync folder on your computer:
Depending on the number and size of files and folders you chose to sync, the initial sync process may take some time. This will also depend on the speed of your internet connection.