GlobalProtect VPN for macOS - Setup Instructions
Instructions on how to use GlobalProtect VPN on a computer running macOS. Please note that GlobalProtect is a product of the company PaloAlto and you may see both names used.
Note: Faculty and staff should first check with their IT support regarding distribution and installation of the Global Protect VPN client for University-supported computers. It may be available in the Software Center or Self Service. Instructions on how to install GlobalProtect on a university-owned Mac are located in this article: GlobalProtect VPN for macOS - Self Service Setup Instructions
1. Point your web browser to
2. Sign in using your ePanther credentials
3. Select the Mac 32/64 bit Global Protect Agent
4. After downloading the installer, click on the package to open it, then click Continue
5. Ensure you have selected Global Protect, then click Continue
6. Click Install
7. IMPORTANT! Some users will be prompted with a message saying "System Extension Blocked". In this case, you must select Open Security Preferences and then select Allow in the Security & Privacy Settings window. (Note: you may need to enter your computer account password to unlock this preference pane.)
8. Wait for client to install, then click Close
9. In the box, type in remote-access.uwm.edu then click Connect
10. When prompted, enter your UWM email and password to sign in. Note: If you have signed in on this device your username may be saved.
11. Authenticate using your desired method.
12. When asked if you would like to stay signed in, click Yes. You also have the option to check the box, Dont show this again.
13. If you are prompted to make changes to the System Certificate Trust Settings click Cancel.
14. In your default browser you will see the following screen.
15. When asked if you would like to open GlobalProtect in your default browser, click the option to Open GlobalProtect.
16. You are now connected to the GlobalProtect VPN and you can close your browser. To disconnect, click on the GlobalProtect icon in the taskbar and click the Disconnect button.
17. You may get prompted for GlobalProtect to gain access to your Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders. Click OK.
Note: If a user wishes to uninstall GlobalProtect, follow steps 1-5 but instead of clicking the checkbox near "GlobalProtect", click the checkbox near "Uninstall GlobalProtect". After clicking the checkbox near "Uninstall GlobalProtect" click "Continue".