Topics Map > Office 365
Topics Map > D2L > Student Help
Office 365 (Word 2016) - Save PDFs for Online Course Submission
This article describes how to save Office 365 documents in Word, Excel and PowerPoint to PDF in a way that is suitable for online submission.
Parts of the information in this article was provided by Microsoft Support.
NOTE: These instructions are for Word 2016 for PC and Mac. If you are using Word online, you will need to install the Office 365 desktop software. Office 365 (Office Suite / ProPlus) - How to install the Microsoft Office Suite on Windows or Mac for Students, Faculty, and Staff
Word 2016 for Windows
Part 1: Compress Pictures
- Click one of the pictures in your file.
- Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Adjust group, click Compress Pictures.
- If you do not see the Picture Tools and Format tabs, make sure that you selected a picture. Depending on your screen size, you might only see the icons for the Adjust group. The Compress Pictures button appears without a label.
- To compress the selected pictures to all pictures in the document, uncheck the Apply only to this picture checkbox.
- Under Target Output, click the resolution that you want.Highly recommended: Web or Email.
Changes are made when you close this window.
Part 2: Save the file to PDF
Before performing these steps, make sure your document is saved as a DOCX file.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Save As along the left.
- Double click a file destination. Typically, this is "This PC".
- Change the Save as Type menu to PDF.
- Below the Save as Type option, next to "Optimize for", click 'Minimum Size'.
- Click the Save button and give your file a new, unique name.
Word 2016 for Mac
Part 1: Reduce File Size
- Click the File menu
- Click Reduce File Size.
- The Picture Quality window will appear. Choose either "Best for viewing on-screen" or "Best for viewing in e-mail"..
Part 2: Save As PDF
- Click the File menu.
- Click Save As.
- Click the File Format box, and choose PDF.
- Click the Save button.