Clicker Technology - Basic Introduction
This article explains the basic setup and usage for TurningPoint clickers from the student's perspective.
There are some classes that utilize clickers. Clickers are devices which allow students to participate in quizzes and answer questions in a class, while recording the student's answers. There are a couple of ways a student can answer questions in class by either using one of the TurningPoint clickers (which are shown below) or by downloading the ResponseWare mobile application and answering from a mobile device.
- If an instructor is having problems with the Clicker Receiver in class, they will need to contact Classroom Support at (414) 229-2382 who support the receivers.
- If students need assistance registering their clickers, they should be advised to come to our Walk-In station in Bolton 225 for troubleshooting. Once students come to our Walk-In lab for troubleshooting, we will test the connection as well as the batteries and make sure that their account is properly registered.
- If we find that the batteries are dead, the students can purchase batteries at the UWM Bookstore for $1.50.
- Abused clickers can not be replaced
Note: The UWM Help Desk only supports clickers from TurningTechnologies. Any other brand clicker should be supported by the instructor requiring its use.
The clicker on the left is a LCD clicker, one of the new models, while the clickers on the right show remote controls which are the older models.
Obtaining a Clicker
Students can buy new or used clickers through ecampus uwm.ecampus.com. Recently Turning Technologies changed their policy for using clickers: students will now need to purchase a license for the clicker to run properly. If a student has multiple classes that use clickers, the student can use the same clicker and license for all such classes.
Obsolete Clicker models
Students might purchase used clickers from other vendors like eBay. Older models of clickers are no longer supported by the new software.
The following clicker models are obsolete and will not work with TurningPoint Cloud: XR's and RF-01's.
Once a student obtains a clicker, they will need to register it in order for them to participate in the lectures.
1. Login to their D2L account
2. Select the class that will be using the clicker.
3. Go to the Contents page. Click on 'Turning Point Cloud Integration', which should be a content item for the class.
4. Sign up using your UWM e-mail account address and create a password (After which you should get a page that looks like the image below)
5. Select Devices on the left side of the page and enter in the Clicker Device ID
Obtaining a License
A student will also need to buy a license for the clicker to work properly in the lectures. If a student buys the newer model clickers from the UWM Bookstore, the package should contain a license code for you to enter in the site. If a student buys a used clicker, they will need to purchase a license from ecampus.
To register the license, do the following:
1. From the TurningPoint dashboard, on the left side of the page, select Licenses.
2. Enter the license code in the appropriate field and click Redeem.
Once a student purchases and registers the license, they should be able to use the clickers in the lectures to participate.
A student can choose whether or not to use a clicker. If the student opts out of obtaining a clicker, they can still use the Turning Technologies mobile application, ResponseWare, which allows a mobile device to perform clicker functions. The mobile application is free and can be obtained on iTunes for Apple iPhone/iPad or on Google Play for Android devices.
The app is free but to use ResponseWare in class, students will need to buy a license and register it.
Note: ResponseWare is only available for Apple and Android devices. If a student has a Windows Mobile Device, then the student will need to purchase a TurningPoint Clicker in order to participate.