Topics Map > Microsoft 365 > Email
Office 365 (Outlook 2016) - Migrating UWM Email Folders from Office 365 to Gmail Using IMAP
This guide will explain how to set up IMAP in Gmail so that you may use Outlook 2016 to transfer large amounts of email from your UWM Email account to Gmail.
1. Login to Gmail.
2. Click on the gear in the upper right-hand corner and select Settings.
3. Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4. Select the circle next to Enable IMAP (near the center of the screen) and press Save Changes near the bottom of the screen.
5. Click the account button (circle in the upper right-hand corner), and select My Account.
6. Click on Security on the next screen. This will lead you to the "Security page of your Google Account. There you will need to scroll down until you see the "Less secure app access" part of the page.
Note: Turning on this setting allows Outlook to communicate with Gmail. This setting turn on does not allow other "less secure" apps to communicate with Gmail unless you authorize the app itself.
7. Click on Turn on access (not recommended).
Add Gmail to Outlook 2016
2. Click on File -> + Add Account.
3. Select Manual setup or additional server types in the window that opens up.
4. Select POP or IMAP.
5. Enter in the text you see below (fill in personal information in areas that have red arrows pointing towards them). Then click More Settings... in the lower left-hand corner. Enter the settings seen on the following screenshots as well. Then click Next >.
NOTE: For the "Outgoing server (SMTP):" field, there are multiple options. If this option does not work for sending mail, try typing 465 and using SSL encryption instead of TLS as shown above. If neither of these works, try 25 with SSL encryption.
10. If you have entered everything correctly, both tasks will show completed and you can press Close on that window.
11. Click Finish, and your Gmail account should populate along the left-hand side of Outlook.
Moving UWM Email to Gmail
Right-click the folder you wish to move from your UWM email account and select Copy Folder. A window will pop up allowing you to select where you wish to move the folder. Select a location within the folder tree for your Gmail account. Wait for the file transfer to complete.