Office 365 (OneDrive for Business) - Setting up Managed Backup using OneDrive for Windows
You can use these directions to automatically back up the files on a Windows computer's Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders using OneDrive.
About OneDrive managed backup
- Once this feature is enabled on a computer, all files in your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders are synced automatically to OneDrive.
- Files can easily be synced across multiple computers by setting up OneDrive managed backup on multiple computers.
- When you set up OneDrive managed backup, it will only back up your logged-in Windows account's folders. Other accounts that have signed into the computer are NOT backed up.
Before you Begin
You must have OneDrive installed. If it is not installed already, you can install the application from the Software Center or else install the application manually.
Be sure you are signed into OneDrive with your UWM account.
Setting up OneDrive managed backup
- Open the OneDrive Settings menu
- Click the OneDrive icon in your task bar
- Click the More button
- Select Settings
- You may also select which of your folders you want to sync: Desktop, Pictures, Documents
- All three folder locations are synced by default.
- You will now have a Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folder in your OneDrive account (pictured below)
- Changes to files on your computer's Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folder will automatically be synced to your OneDrive account
- Items that are deleted from a OneDrive backup location can still be recovered from the Recycle bin within the next 90 days.
- You can now access the contents of your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures from OneDrive online at https://www.office.com.
- NOTE: Files outside of your own account's Desktop, Documents, and Pictures directories will not be backed up when you complete these steps.
- To comprehensively back up your files, move everything you need into one of these folders.
- If you share a computer with other people, note that these steps will only back up your own account's files.