Upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 10
All UWM computers need to be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 by the end of 2019. If you have a Windows 7 computer that is managed by Campus Technology Support, you can use the steps in this article to upgrade your UWM computer to Windows 10.
Scope of this article
This article applies when all of the following criteria are met:
- Computer is owned by University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Computer is running the Windows 7 operating system (if you are unsure, see: Identifying a Windows 7 Computer)
- Computer is managed by Campus Technology Support (CTS)
- Computer is physically located in a UWM building, connected to the UWM network (wired or UWM WiFi).
If all of these conditions are met, your Windows 7 computer will automatically receive a "software update" notification each time you boot.
If you click on the notification window, the details will look like this:
Before you begin
Please review these considerations:
- The upgrade will take 2-4 hours to complete.
- Your computer will not be available to use during the upgrade process.
- For this reason, we recommend starting the upgrade at the end of a work day.
- Your files, applications, and settings will remain unchanged.
- Laptops must be brought to campus and connected to the network (wired or UWM WiFi)
- Wired network connections are more reliable. Consider requesting support upgrading your laptop if you do not have a wired connection available.
- Remember also to connect the power adapter to your laptop so the battery does not deplete during the upgrade
- If you encounter problems with any step of the upgrade process, please contact Campus Technology Support for assistance.
- Microsoft is retiring support for Windows 7!
- No more security updates will be released for Windows 7 after 2019.
- UWM computers running Windows 7 must either be upgraded to Windows 10 or be removed from the UWM network to ensure their security.
- If you do not run the upgrade by July 7th, 2019, the upgrade will run automatically the next time your computer is powered on and on the network!
- From your desktop, open the Software Center
- Click the Start button
- In the search bar, type Software Center
- Click the Software Center icon.
- In the Software Center, click the Operating Systems tab on the left-hand navigation bar.
- In the Operating Systems tab, click on Upgrade to Windows 10
- Click the Install button
- In the confirmation window, click Install again.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- You will see several progress windows (examples below) while the installation proceeds.
- The computer will reboot several times before the upgrade is complete.
- When everything is finished, the start screen for Windows 10 will appear.
- From the start screen, press any key to bring up the login prompt.
- Sign in with your account and check your applications, settings, and files.
- If you encounter any problems or have questions, please contact Campus Technology Support for assistance.