This article provides information about UWM Wi-fi
The UWM Wi-Fi service provides wireless Internet access to personal and University-owned wireless-enabled computers and mobile devices. Connectivity to this network is available in public spaces and classrooms in specific buildings (limited or no connectivity in outside stairwells, restrooms, mechanical rooms and kitchens). The service started as a pilot project and is currently undergoing planning for expansion.
UWM Wi-Fi has the following features:
- Wireless Internet access for personal and University-owned wireless-enabled computers and mobile devices
- Three service options (UWMWiFi, UWMVisitor, eduroam) for groups using wireless
- An auto-setup utility for configuring laptops using Windows 7 (prior to machines auto detecting encryption settings)
- Walk-in support available for assistance with device setup
UWM Wi-Fi is available in all UWM buildings.
- Faculty and staff
- Emeriti and annuitant faculty and staff
- Sponsored guests
- Visitors and individuals from member eduroam institutions
Credentials needed for access
Credentials differ depending on the level of UWM Wi-Fi service selected:
- UWMWiFi requires ePantherID and password
- UWMVisitor requires passphrase
- eduroam requires local credentials from member eduroam institutions
Student access granted (UWM Wi-Fi level)
Prospective students are given access to this service when fees are paid and notification is given in PAWS for eligibility to register for classes.
UWM Wi-Fi Student service discontinuation (UWM Wi-Fi level)
Access to this service is removed when a student has not registered for classes for the past two consecutive full semesters (fall and spring).
Employee/sponsored access granted (UWM Wi-Fi and UWMSponsored levels)
Faculty, staff and those sponsored by a permanent faculty or staff members are given access to this service when the hiring process is complete and the ePantherID and password are activated.
Employee/sponsored service discontinuation (UWM Wi-Fi and eduroam)
Access to this service is removed when an individual is no longer employed by or holds a sponsored affiliation with UWM.
This service is available 24/7 except during scheduled maintenance periods and unscheduled outages. For information about timeframes when service is unavailable, visit uwm.edu/gettechhelp.
Scheduled Maintenance Windows
The defined standing maintenance windows for the UWM Wi-Fi wireless network are on Tuesday from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. and Thursday from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Scheduled or Unplanned Outages
Information about scheduled or unplanned outages is posted at uwm.edu/gettechhelp.
There are no charges associated with the use of this service.
For connectivity issues with a personal device, please contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040, toll free at 877-381-3459 or visit uwm.edu/helpdesk.
For connectivity issues with a University-owned laptop or mobile device, please contact your departmental IT support staff or the UWM Help Desk (if supported by a UITS Desktop Support Service Level Agreement).
Walk-in support for setting up personal laptops and mobile devices to connect to UWM Wi-Fi is available in Bolton Hall, Room 225 and the Library Learning Commons IT Consultant desk.
Training and Documentation
- Windows 7 Automated Setup Tool
- Apple Automated Setup Tool
- UWMWiFi/eduroam Setup Instructions
- UWM Wi-Fi FAQ