OBIEE - UWM Oracle BI Project - Training, Support and Access
Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) is the campus reporting tool purchased by the University of Wisconsin System. The platform focuses on self-service reporting which will allow more campus units to obtain data and answer business questions, empowering employees who may not serve in technical roles. This provides a significant opportunity for expanded campus collaboration on campus data projects, fostering conversations about how we define, manage, and apply institutional data.
Units across campus have specialized reporting needs, but there are also data sets that support common business needs across departments, schools, and colleges. OBIEE’s collaboration friendly structure will allow for campus-wide and unit-specific reporting on:
- Current and historical class enrollments, including student bio/demo data, academic plan information, and previous tests and coursework.
- Current academic plan information, including student bio/demo data, term registration status, advisor information, and degree progress.
- Student applications and admissions status, including admission checklist progress, previous school and placement test information, and intended plan information.
- Historically-awarded and expected degrees, including academic plan/subplan(s), honors awarded, student groups, coursework, and academic performance
Training for OBIEE is available online through the Canvas environment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request enrollment in this online course.
Quick Guide PDFs on individual topics can be found on the UW System OBIEE support website.
Walk-in labs for questions and quick tutorials will be held in Bol 230 at the following times:
Tuesday, July 2: 10:00 – Noon
Thursday, July 18: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Tuesday, July 30: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Wednesday, August 14: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Thursday, August 29: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
DASHBOARDS AND REPORT SUPPORT
All dashboards will have a Notes tab which can be found at the top of the page. This page will include information about the data found in the report as well as the dashboard author’s contact information. Questions about the report should be directed to the Author.
HRS Reports are developed by UW System. Please use the form on the Contact Us page for any questions or issues with these reports.
Training Video Links
We suggest that you expand the video to fill the entire screen. The video may be blurry right away, but the resolution will clear within a few seconds.
Accessing the OBIEE Website
- This video will provide an overview on how to access the website and navigate within the UWM Shared Dashboard.
Running a Simple Dashboard Request
- Learn about different types of dashboard filters and how to process an analysis.
Sorting and Exporting
- Customize your results by sorting and rearranging the columns. Final results can be exported to Excel, .csv or other formats.
Creating and Saving a Customization
- Save your filters, sorts and column changes to be re-run at any time.
UWM employees may request access to OBIEE by completing the following 3 steps:
- Complete the FERPA Quiz.
- Request OBIEE Consumer access through the UWM Authorization Application (the “AuthApp”).
After your AuthApp request is approved, you will be sent a link to enroll a device in the Duo multi-factor authentication (MFA) service.
- Under New Group Membership Request, click Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE).
- Choose Student Records Consumer.
- Enter your supervisor’s ePantherID (without @uwm.edu).
- Click Submit Request.
- The Duo MFA device provides an additional level of security, requiring something you know (EpantherID and Password) with something you have (Duo device)
- The Duo Mobile app is offered in the iOS and Android app stores, or you may obtain a Duo hardware token from the UWM TechStore in the UWM Union.
- Once enrolled in Duo, you will be required to use this device for any campus service using 1Login authentication–like MyUW or PantherLists.
After you enroll your Duo device, you can login to OBIEE at https://uwbi.wisconsin.edu
Note: Off-campus users must connect to the GlobalProtect VPN client before accessing OBIEE, and must be members of a specific AD security group. If you intend to use OBIEE off-campus, please contact email@example.com for more information. For instructions on installing the GlobalProtect VPN client, please consult the following KB article: https://kb.uwm.edu/uwmhd/page.php?id=83286.