Duo - Add a Security Key as a Secondary Device
This article will show the process of adding a Security Key as a secondary device to authenticate with Duo. This article assumes you already have at least one device enrolled. If you do not yet have a device enrolled in Duo, please follow the set of instructions provided in the Duo Enrollment Guide KB instead.
- You must be authenticating into a web-based application, such as 1Login based services (i.e. the Security Key authentication option will not work when logging into the desktop client of Cherwell Service Management).
- You must be using Google Chrome 41+ or Opera 40+.
- You must have an available USB port to plug the Security Key into the computer.
- Open a private/incognito browser tab in a compatible browser (Google Chrome 41+ or Opera 40+).
- Copy and paste this link into the URL:
- Log into 1Login using your UWM ePanther credentials and password. This will take you to the Duo Device Management portal.
- Click Add a new device in the left-side menu:
- Before you can add a new device, you must authenticate with one of your already-set authenticated devices to verify your identity:
- After you complete authentication, you will be asked what type of device you would like to add. Select Security Key. Click Continue:
- You will be taken to the Enroll Your Security Key window. Click Continue. This will open a pop-up window:
- When the pop-up window opens, insert your Security Key into the computer's USB port.
**NOTE: If this is the first time a Security Key has been connected to the computer, the computer needs to install the drivers before it can be used. This should be done automatically upon inserting the Security Key into the USB port. After the driver installation has completed, click Close and then click Continue in the Enroll Your Security Key window to re-open the pop-up window.
- You should now see the button on your Security Key flashing. Press the button while it is flashing (if the button stops flashing before you press it, close and re-open the pop-up window).
- The Security Key enrollment is now complete.
- You can now authenticate with the Security Key by pressing the flashing button at the Duo Self-Service Menu (pictured below). REMINDER: the Security Key will only work in compatible browsers!