Respondus 4 - Importing word document questions into Respondus
This article lists the steps to importing questions in a word document into Respondus 4. Once imported, Respondus can upload questions into D2L or Canvas.
Step 1: Format quiz questions for import
Respondus can upload the following question formats.
- Multiple Choice
- True or False
- Fill in the Blank (short answer)
- Multiple Response Questions
Multiple Choice Formatting
- Each question must begin with a question number, followed by either a period “.” or parentheses “(“ and a space. Example: 3) or 3.
- One space should be between the question number and the question wording.
- Each answer must begin with a letter (A-Z) followed by a period “.” or parentheses “(“ and a space before the answer wording.
- Correct answers can be indicated in two ways in Respondus.
- Place an asterisk (*) directly in front of the answer choice with no space like: *b) or,
- Place a list of correct answers at the end of the file. The list must begin with the word “Answers” with the question answers beginning on the following line.
Essay Question Formatting
- The steps are very similar to multiple choice formatting.
- The primary difference is that the first line of formatting for an essay question must begin with “Type: E” such as:
- Supply an answer to an essay question in two different ways.
- First, provide an answer immediately after the questing wording, beginning the answer with “a.” or “a)” and a space, followed by the answer wording.
- The second way is to include it in the list of correct answers at the end of the file like in the multiple choice formatting.
Fill in the Blank Formatting
- The first line of formatting for a fill in the blank question must begin with “Type: F”.
- Respondus will only allow one correct answer per question, but it does allow you to enter multiple forms of the same answer such as:
b. Vladimir Zworykin
- Answers can also be placed at the end of the file like previous formats.
- The only exception to this is that you must list the same question number for each answer variable.
Multiple Response Formatting
- In D2L this is called “Multi-Select” and in Canvas this is called “Multiple Answers”, they are the same type of question for formatting purposes.
- The first line for formatting must begin with “Type: MR” or “Type: MA”.
- This is followed by the title and the question number and wording like previous formats.
- Multiple Response formatting is nearly identical to multiple choice formatting. The only difference is that multiple answers will be correct.
- Place an asterisk (*) in front of the answers to your question with no space between the asterisk and the corresponding answer letters.
- Place the answers at the end of the file like all previous formats.
- List the answers as follows:
- B D with just a space between the answers
- B, D with a comma separating the answers
- B , D with a space, a comma, and a space between the answers
True or False Formatting
- True or False questions must be formatted so that the "True" or "T" answer is always listed before "False" or "F" in order for Respondus 4 to recognize that it is a True or False question.
- Place an asterisk (*) in front of the correct choice. (e.g. *a. True or *b) F)
- Like the other question types, you can place the answers at the end of the file.
- List the answers as either:
- The complete word: 1. True
- The letter: 2. T
- The alphabetical letter: 3. A
- A is always "True" and B is always "False" in this format.
Step 2: Start the import
- From the Start menu in Respondus, select Import Questions. A new window will appear.
- Under Select the file to import: go to the Type of file drop down and select the type of file you already have.
- Select from Plain Text (.txt), Rich Text (.rtf), and Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx).
- Rich Text (.rtf) and Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx) will retain most of the question formatting such as bold, italic, underline, etc…
- Embedded graphics can only be imported from Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx).
- If there is no designated title, Respondus will use the first 20 characters from the question for the question title.
- If Use Stem “string of text” is checked, the titles will be based on a consecutive numbering system starting with 001.
For more information on importing question types not listed here refer to Respondus' guides:
- Respondus 4.0 User Guide for D2L Brightspace
- Respondus 4.0 User Guide for Canvas
- Respondus 4.0 User Guide for IMS QTI