Resolving persistent login Keychain prompts following a password change
Steps to resolve macOS login issues with Keychain after changing your password.
After changing your password, you may receive a prompt that states The system was unable to unlock your login keychain following login:
Click Create New Keychain Password button at this prompt. If you do not receive this prompt or are receiving persistent prompts to enter your login or admin Keychain password, use the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Click Finder
- Create a folder named Keychains backup on your Desktop
- While holding the option key, select Go > Library
- Open the Keychains folder
- Copy all of the data contained in the Keychains folder and paste it into the Keychains backup folder you just created
- Once the data has been copied to the backup folder, delete all of the data in the Keychains folder
- Restart your computer
A new login keychain will be automatically created on your next login and the persistent prompts from Keychain should disappear. To update individual entries within Keychain see:
Updating Individual Keychains following a password change.