D2L - Summer 2017 Upgrade Features, Changes and Known Issues for Students
This is a list of new features, changes and known issues for the Summer 2017 update of D2L, which coincides with the upgrade of Brightspace from 10.6.0 to 10.7.0 MR1 on June 6-7, 2017. This was last updated August 22, 2017 at 1:00 pm.
New Features and Changes
Ensure You’re Using a Supported Browser
With the Summer 2017 upgrade, Internet Explorer 10 and Safari 6, 7 and 8 are no longer supported by D2L. The preferred browser is Google Chrome. Firefox is also supported. Edge and Safari are supported, but their use is discouraged.
There is no change in the support of mobile browsers.
Improved Copy/Cut and Paste from Microsoft Word and Excel
When pasting into D2L, users now have the option of pasting as plain text (recommended) or pasting with formatting preserved. When pasting, users are prompted with the options: Remove Formatting or Keep Formatting. Colors, font size, indentation and typeface changes are preserved. Table formatting and Excel cell layout are also preserved.
Note: there is no paste icon in the HTML Editor. Instead, press CTRL+V in Windows, or Command-V on a Mac. To paste as plain text, use CTRL+Shift+V in Windows, or Command-Option-Shift-V on Mac.
Improvements in Image and PDF Viewing
In previous versions of D2L, PDFs and images would load in the Document Viewer. Images and PDFs no longer require the Document Viewer.
- Images load faster.
- PDFs now display in the browser’s native viewer. Users of Acrobat Reader can now take advantage of built-in accessibility features.
Equations Now Previewed in the HTML Editor
The Equation Editor is updated and is now able to insert preview of equations directly into the HTML Editor.
- Breadcrumbs are easier to use in Content for users of screen readers or assistive technologies.
- The topic list in Content is now identifiable by users of assistive technologies.
Copy Replies with the Parent Post
When using More Actions > Copy while reading a post, a checkbox is available labeled ‘Copy replies’. If checked, the replies to a thread will copy along with the original thread post.
Quiz and Survey Answers Now Highlight
Multiple Choice, True/False and Multiple Select questions are now grey when the mouse moves over an answer, and the answer background turns blue.
User Progress/Class Progress
Weights Shown with Grades
In the Grades section of User Progress, grade weights are now displayed below the grade entered by the instructor.
Known issues are problems found with D2L or other tools associated with the D2L service that are considered incorrect behavior by the vendor. Known issues will likely be addressed at a later time.
- (Firefox and Internet Explorer only) when viewing Content, pressing Enter on the keyboard may skip a page.
- Workaround: Use Chrome to avoid the issue. The course file may also be downloaded.
- JAWS 17 reads the time index of some videos instead of reading the captions. Note that this issue does not affect some kinds of videos.
- Workaround: further troubleshooting may need to be performed to determine a workaround. Students should contact the UWM Help Desk and the course instructor to report the issue. Instructors should contact CETL for assistance.
- Some buttons in pop-up windows may not be usable for users of screen readers.
- Workaround: in Account Settings, uncheck “Show secondary windows as pop-ups”. Note that users of screen readers may need to adjust to the way pop-up dialogs are presented.
- Students with more than 26 bookmarks may not see all bookmarks.
- Workaround: there is currently no known workaround.
- Subscription Alerts do not function when subscribing to a moderated Discussion topic in grid view.
- Workaround: subscribe to topics using Reading View.
- Where a Discussion is restricted to a group, and the group is deleted, group information is still visible in unthreaded view.
- Workaround: View discussions in threaded view to filter out invalid group information.
- Pasting an image from Word into a Discussion post may attach the image to the post twice. (Note: many users cannot paste images into Discussion posts directly due to default security settings on their computers.)
- Workaround: manually upload images to Discussion posts.
- It is not visibly obvious when empty table cells are selected. The black outline typical of selected table cells is absent.
- Workaround: temporarily enter content into the cells.
- Videos from My Media, YouTube, and other sources cannot be played fullscreen from within quizzes.
- Workaround: there is no known workaround.
- (Mobile devices only) Time Left while taking a quiz may be displayed wrong on mobile devices if the device falls asleep or if the lock screen appears.
- Workaround: there is no known workaround. Students are strongly advised to not take quizzes on mobile devices as a matter of practice.
- (iOS only) Starting a survey via Content, and not answering the survey completely may result in what appears to be a blank screen.
- Workaround: drag the page down to view the top of the page from within Content. Alternatively, use the Surveys link to access the survey.