How to use AD Object Search for SharePoint administrators
This document provides how to add/remove Active Directory group for administrative access in SharePoint site.
SharePoint site administrators only. Instructions are for Windows and Mac users.
**Note: Instructions for Windows and Mac platforms are identical once the Active Directory application is open.
- Must be Admin for SharePoint site.
- AD Search (Windows) or Microsoft Remote Desktop (Mac) tools enabled on staff computer
How-To Steps (Windows and Mac)
Below are steps on how to add/remove a user in department SharePoint site.
**Note: Images are intended as examples only and may differ from what you see when actually in Active Directory. Please follow the written instructions for more detailed information.
- AD Search can be installed in Software Center
- Navigate to Windows Start Menu, type "AD Search" in the search box and open it
- Search your SharePoint group in AD Search
- Open the Microsoft Remote Desktop application on your Mac. (Finder > Applications) You will be presented with the window shown below.
- Click on the "Remote Resources" Button at the top of the window. This will open the authentication window:
- Fill out the fields as referenced below, then Click the Refresh button:
- URL: https://sa-rdweb1.ad.uwm.edu/RDWeb/Feed/webfeed.aspx
- User name: <your ePantherID>
- Password: <your ePantherID password>
- Double Click "Active Directory of Users and Computers" to launch the App
- Navigate to your department, open to make modification
- Select the group that you want to add/remove user. Double click
- Inside the pop-up, select "Members" tab
- To add member, click "Add". In the pop up, enter user ePantherID into the box, click "Check Names"
- Click "OK", then click "Apply"
- To remove member, select the member you want to remove. Click "Remove"
- Click "YES"
- Click "Apply"
Side note: This add/remove will take about 1 - 2 hours to be effective.