Office 365 (Outlook 2011) - Categorize an item
If an item is assigned to multiple categories, the last category that is assigned is considered to be the primary category. The primary category determines the font color of the item in the item list. Also, when you sort items by category, an item is grouped with its primary category.
- Select an item in the item list (item list: In the main Outlook window, the list of messages, contacts, tasks, or other items. By default, the item list is displayed vertically between the navigation pane and the reading pane.).
To select multiple items, hold down as you click the items.
- On the Home tab, click Categorize, and then click a category.
To create a new category, on the Home tab, click Categorize, click Add New, and then type a category name.
- By default, when you assign a contact to a category, all messages that you receive from that contact are automatically assigned to the same category. To turn off this preference, on the Outlook menu, click Preferences, click Categories, and then clear the Assign categories to messages from categorized contacts check box.
- If you select a category in the navigation pane (navigation pane: The left pane of the Document Connection for Mac window that displays saved locations and files.) and then create a new item, the new item is automatically assigned to the selected category.
- When Junk E-mail Protection is enabled, Outlook assigns possible junk messages to the Junk category and moves the messages to the Junk E-mail folder.
- To delete all categories from an item, select the item, click Categorize, and then click Clear All.