Office 365 (Outlook on the web) - Tasks Overview
Use your Tasks folder to keep track of things that you need to do but don't necessarily want to put on your calendar.
Open Tasks application
- Log into Outlook on the web.
- Open the app launcher tool in the top left of your Outlook on the web window as shown below.
- Select Tasks from the list of available apps.
In addition to tasks that you create, any message that you flag will appear in the Tasks folder.
- Shows all tasks from different folders. Use this column to Flagged items and Tasks, filter/search by certain criteria, or just Tasks.
- The reading pane, where the content of the items you've selected is displayed. You can use the controls in the upper corner to make changes to the item if it's a task. If it's a message, the controls will be the same as you would see while reading your mail.
- When a new task is created, this screen will appear and you can fill out the information accordingly.
Note Tasks may not be available to you depending on your organization's settings.
By default, you read and create tasks in the reading pane, but that isn't always what you need. Sometimes you need to be able to view or edit a task in a separate window.
When you're making a new task, you can use the pop-out feature, it creates the task in a new window by clicking the multi-window icon located at the top right of the reading pane.
To open a task that you're viewing in a separate window, click the extended menu icon at the top right corner, "..." and select open in separate window.
Tasks includes tasks that you've created and messages that have been flagged.
- You can switch between viewing Flagged Items and Tasks and just Tasks by using the folder list.
- You can further choose which items to view by using the filters at the top of the task list: all, active, overdue, and completed.
- You can also sort your tasks by using the drop-down menu next above the filters section. By default, tasks are filters by DUE DATE.
- You can use icons in the task list to complete some quick tasks. Click the red 'X' to delete a task. Click the check mark image to mark a task as completed. To remove the flag click the flag icon.
- To assign a task to a category, right-click on the task and select "Categories" from the sub-menu.
- To create a new task, click New task icon located at the top left area of the Task screen.
- On the new task pane, enter the desired information.
- When you're done, click Save to save your changes or Discard to cancel.
To edit a task, select it in the list view, and then click Edit in the reading pane. When you're done, click Save to save your changes or Discard to cancel.
Flagged messages will appear just as they would if you were viewing within Outlook application. You can respond to them from within Tasks.