Software Center - How-To - Install, Update, and Uninstall Software
This document explains how to install new software and update already installed software using Software Center on Windows computers.
Software Center is the software that manages software for all of the Windows computers SAITS supports. It pushes out system updates as well as allows users to download and install programs on their own.
The software that is available to users to download depends on the access granted to them in Active Directory. Users may contact the Help Desk to request new software if it is not currently available to them in Software Center.
All software must be downloaded and installed through Software Center.
Help Desk Technicians should never utilize their admin password to install software outside of Software Center. Any need to do so should be approved by a Tier 3 person prior to so doing. If the customer needs something imminently and a Tier 3 person is unavailable, contact Christopher Cook or Bob Meyer for authorization. If any approval is given for a manual software installation, it must be noted in the ticket who provided that authorization and a task assigned to a Tier 3 person for follow up investigation and/or packaging. Software that is not currently supported may be packaged and installed by Endpoint if there is a need for it. Any tickets for such requests should be documented with business need for the software including why alternate available software (if is available) will not suffice. Then the ticket can be escalated to Endpoint for review.
Notes on Required vs. Available software
There are two different kinds of software pushed to the computer which will appear in the Software Center.
- Required Software is automatically installed on the computer with no option given to the user. The user cannot uninstall it in the software center as the "Uninstall" button is greyed out.
- Available Software which is available for the user to install and uninstall as the user desires. These are not automatically installed but must be installed in the Software Center.
Besides seeing the install/uninstall option greyed out or not, each software's AD group in ad.uwm.edu\SA\Groups\Security\Software Deployment* may have either "Available" or "Required" towards the end of its name.
Opening Software Center
The following steps instruct on how to open Software Center:
- Press the start menu which is located at the bottom left of your desktop
- Place your cursor in the search field and type software center
- Press "Software Center" at the top of the start menu under "Programs (1)"
Running Updates for Existing Software through Software Center
With Software Center open the following steps instruct on how to run updates for software that you already have:
- At the top left of Software Center press "Updates" from the "Show" dropdown menu
- Press the checkbox(s) to the left of the software(s) you wish to update
- In the bottom right press "Install"
After selecting Install you will be moved to the "Installation Status" tab of Software Center so that you can watch the progress of your software update, Software Center may state "Update Scheduled" under the status section. If you require the update immediately select the update and select "Install" at the bottom right of Software Center.
You might also have an update status be "Failed" at which case you should select the update and select "Retry" at the bottom right of Software Center, if the update continues to fail to run you should contact the Student Affairs Help Desk at (414) 229-4606.
Installing New Software through Software Center
With Software Center already open the follow instructs on how to install new software:
- Ensure that you have the "Available Software" tab selected as well as "All" in the Show Dropdown menu
- Ensure that "All" is selected in the "Show" dropbox
- Press the checkbox(s) to the left of the software(s) you wish to install
- Press "Install" in the bottom right of Software Center
After selecting Install you will be moved to the "Installation Status" tab of Software Center so that you can watch the progress of your software install, Software Center may state "Install Scheduled" under the status section. If you require the software immediately select the update and select "Install" at the bottom right of Software Center.
You might also have an install status be "Failed" at which case you should select the install and select "Retry" at the bottom right of Software Center, if the install continues to fail to run you should contact the Student Affairs Help Desk, see information below.
After following this document you should have been able to successfully update existing and install new software
Uninstalling Software through Software Center
With Software Center already open the follow instructs on how to uninstall new software:
- Ensure that you have the "Installed Software" tab selected
- Click on the software you wish to uninstall
- Press "Uninstall" in the bottom right corner of Software Center
***Attention: When we uninstall a program we want to uninstall it through Software Center because that is what directly communicates with SCCM and the administrative tools we use on a regular basis. We do not want to uninstall through the Control Panel because it requires more steps and causes issues communicating with SCCM because the software that was uninstalled will still show up in Software Center. Uninstalling through Control Panel should only be used if it’s a last resort.***