Software Center - How-To - Install, Update, and Uninstall Software
This document explains how to install new software and update already installed software using Software Center on Windows computers.
All software must be downloaded and installed through Software Center.
Notes on Required vs. Available software
- Required Software is automatically installed on the computer with no option given to the user. The user cannot uninstall it in the software center as the "Uninstall" button is greyed out.
- Available Software which is available for the user to install and uninstall as the user desires. These are not automatically installed but must be installed in the Software Center.
Besides seeing the install/uninstall option greyed out or not, each software's AD group in ad.uwm.edu\SA\Groups\Security\Software Deployment* may have either "Available" or "Required" towards the end of its name.
Opening Software Center
- Press the start menu which is located at the bottom left of your desktop
- Click the Software Center icon to open software center.
Note: if it does not appear in the menu, after clicking start begin typing "Software Center" until it appears on the left.
- Click on the Windows Start Menu Icon in the bottom left in the screen.
- Begin typing "software center".
- Click the appropriate line under "Programs" to open Software Center.
Running Updates, Installing or Unistalling Software through Software Center
Software Center Breakdown:
- Sidebar Menu: Used to Deliniate the types of software installs available, between full applications, system updates, and full operating system updates.
- The filter options: Used to filter results for certain types to help find what you are looking for.
- The available software packages: Shows all available software packages for install Clicking on one will bring up something similar to the picture below and will be explained further on.
Once you have selected a package:
- Available actions are displayed.
- More detailed information on the package is shown as well.
Actions in Software Center
Update Existing Software:
With Software Center open, the following steps instruct on how to run updates for software that you already have:
- At the top left of Software Center press "Updates" from the Sidebar menu.
- Select the software(s) and updates you wish to install.
- Press the "Install" action button to start the updates.
- Ensure that you have the "Applications" tab selected as well as "All" in the filter dropbox.
- Select the software you wish to install
- Press the "Install" action button to start the installation.
- Ensure that you have the "Applications" tab selected
- Click on the software you wish to uninstall
- Press the "Uninstall" action button to remove the software.
After following this document you should have been able to successfully update existing and install new software, as well as properly remove extra software.