Name Change Requests

This article outlines how name change requests should be handled.

Covered in this Article:

Preferred Name
PAWS/Legal Name change
D2L Name change

Preferred Name:

Places Where Preferred Name Will Appear
  • PAWS
  • Class roster
  • Grade roster
  • Student Center
  • Student Services Center (staff-view)
  • Online Academic Advisement Report
  • D2L
  • UWM Online Campus Directory
  • Office 365

Places Where Preferred Name Will NOT Appear (Legal Name Required)
  • Official UWM Transcript
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Student Financial Accounts
  • Financial Aid Documents
  • Student Employment Documents

A preferred name request form is available for students via the Registrar's page, to request that their name (first & middle only) be set to display differently than the legal name shown in PAWS.

There is no an equivalent form for instructors or staff members.  However, a change of their Employee Directory name may be requested.  This is the PAWS equivalent of a display name. 
Requests are managed in the order that they are received. As long as the use of the preferred first and/or middle name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, it will appear instead of the legal name in select university systems and documents except where the use of the legal name is required by university business or legal need.  If the user would like to pursue this option, they should contact the Help Desk at (414) 229 - 4040

PAWS / Legal name change requests:

Note:  A user's records in PAWS are meant to match those found on legal documents.  As such, a client's name in PAWS may only be changed if they have legally changed their name in their government records.

A Student Record Data Change Form is available to students.  Alternatively, the form is available at the Registrar's office in Mellencamp 274. After the user's name has been changed in PAWS, there will be a synchronization delay.  Office 365, D2L and the UWM whitepages will reflect this change shortly after. 

Employees must contact the Human Resources office with proof of the change.  The user will be asked to provide a Social Security card to verify their new name for payroll and tax purposes.  In addition,
this form should be completed. The HR office should be contacted at

D2L name change requests: 

Occasionally, the name change process will result in an overlooked or misspelled entry in D2L.

NoteIf the user's name in PAWS does not match the desired name in D2L, then a legal name change or preferred name may be the proper course of action.

See Also:

Keywords:student, faculty, staff, employee, name, names, change, request, PAWS, D2L, Office 365, white, page, pages, preferred, legal, legally, spell, spelled, misspell, misspelled   Doc ID:47899
Owner:Help Desk K.Group:UW-Milwaukee Help Desk
Created:2015-03-02 16:54 CSTUpdated:2018-02-23 10:31 CST
Sites:UW-Milwaukee Help Desk
Feedback:  0   0