D2L - First Time D2L Use for Students
This knowledge article covers the steps on how to log into D2L for the first time.
Using UW-Milwaukee Desire2Learn (D2L) course web sites Materials for this course are available on a Desire2Learn (D2L) course web site. You may see these materials there anytime you wish, using a standard web browser.
- On Windows computers, Internet Explorer or Firefox are the preferred browsers.
- On Apple (Macintosh) computers, it is best to use Safari or Firefox.
- Be sure your browser also has "Sun Java Runtime Environment" (Java-scripting) enabled for a recent version of Java.
To find and browse the D2L course web site:
- Open your web browser and go to the UWM home page: http://www.uwm.edu (OR go directly to the D2L login page at http://D2L.uwm.edu and skip to #3 below).
- From the UWM home page, click on the dropdown menu, and select "D2L Course Access". On the Desire2Learn Welcome screen, you will see a location to enter your Username and Password.
- Type in your ePanther Username (your ePanther campus email, but without the @uwm.edu).
- Hit the [Tab] key on your keyboard, or use the mouse to click in the box next to "Password".
- Type in your ePanther Password, then hit [Login].
- On the "MyHome" screen, find the area called "My UW-Milwaukee Courses". You'll see your active courses here, arranged by semester, with the newest at the top.
- Click on the title of any course to go to the Course Home page.
- Click "Content" in the navigation bar to begin exploring the site.
If you have any difficulty getting into the course web site, please close down your web browser completely and then reopen. Once it is open, try logging in again, using the instructions above.
If you do not know your ePanther username or password, please get help as indicated below. When you are finished looking around your D2L course sites, always click on [Logout]. This is especially important if you are in a computer lab. Without your logging out, the next person who uses the machine will be using your D2L account!