Office 365 (Outlook on the Web) - Shared Mailboxes
UWM group accounts were migrated to Office 365 as shared mailboxes. Follow the steps below to open a shared mailbox and edit its members. Note: these steps will only work when starting from your own, personal mailbox, not while in the shared mailbox.
- Opening a Shared Mailbox
- Editing Group Members and Owners
Opening a Shared Mailbox
Follow these steps to open a group account as a shared mailbox.
1. From the Outlook on the Web, click your name/profile picture in the upper-right corner and select Open another mailbox...
2. In the open another mailbox window, type the group account's full UWM email address (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org) and click Search Contacts & Directory (if you've opened this mailbox before, the name should appear as you type).
3. Enter the Shared Mailbox address and select the mailbox you wish to open from the menu.
4. Click Open and the shared mailbox will open in another browser tab.
5. View and send emails for your group account in the new tab.
- A blank screen with the words "Bad request".
- An error message stating: "You don't have permission to open this mailbox". (This may appear after the first error message if the client attempts to enter the mailbox again.)
Editing Group Members and Owners
UWM group accounts were migrated to Office 365 as shared mailboxes of the same name, plus an access group given the same name and an -owners suffix. To change the membership of a group account called abc, you must edit the email@example.com access group that appears in your account options. You must also be an owner of the group in order to make these changes. Follow these steps to change a group's members or owners.
Accessing Your Distribution Groups
1. From Outlook on the Web in your mailbox (NOT the shared mailbox), Click on the Gear Icon next to your profile picture and select Mail toward the bottom of the dropdown menu under My app settings. If this doesn't appear and a different dropdown bar appears, you can select Options in the other dropdown menu.
3. Select the group you wish to edit under the 'distribution groups I own' heading (remember that group accounts end in -firstname.lastname@example.org) and click the pencil icon.
Editing Group Members
Note: Remember to always hit the Save button at the bottom right of the main Distribution Group window!
1. Click membership along the left side of the Distribution Group window to edit the group's members.
2. Click the + icon to add a new member (or select an existing member and click the - icon to remove them).
3. Search for the new member's name or email address and click the + next to their name.
4. The persons name will appear under the save button at the top of the window to confirm that you have selected that person.
5. Click save to keep any changes you made.
1. Click ownership along the left side of the Distribution Group window to edit the group's owners.
2. Click the + icon to add a new owner (or select an existing owner and click the - icon to remove them).
3. Search for the new owner's name or email address and click the + next to their name.
4. Click save to keep any changes you made.
Note: All groups must have at least one owner who's responsible for managing the group. By default you're an owner of the group you're creating.