Employee/Staff Display Name Change Request

The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee recognizes that employees may choose to identify themselves within the university community with a preferred first and/or middle name that differs from their legal name. The goal at UWM is to provide a consistent preferred name experience across University systems and to allow the use of your preferred name wherever your full legal name is not absolutely necessary.

Requesting a Preferred Name

UWM faculty and staff must submit a name change request to the Help Desk at gettechhelp.uwm.edu. The Help Desk will then forward your request to the appropriate team for approval and implementation. Unfortunately, there is no utility, at this time, to allow faculty and staff to request the change on their own as there is for students. Requests are managed in the order that they are received. As long as the use of the preferred first and/or middle name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, it will appear instead of the legal name in select university systems and documents except where the use of the legal name is required by university business or legal need.

Places Where Preferred Name Will Appear

  • PAWS (Class roster, grade roster, Student Center, Student Services Center (staff-view) and Online Academic Advisement Report)
  • D2L
  • UWM Online Campus Directory
  • Office 365
  • More coming soon!

Places Where Preferred Name Will NOT Appear (Legal Name Required)

  • Official UWM Transcript
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Student Financial Accounts
  • Financial Aid
  • Human Resources (Student Employment)

See Also:

Keywords:name change, name, preferred name, display name, display, employee, staff, faculty,   Doc ID:42006
Owner:Help Desk K.Group:UW-Milwaukee Help Desk
Created:2014-07-21 14:49 CDTUpdated:2017-07-21 15:10 CDT
Sites:UW-Milwaukee Help Desk
Feedback:  0   0