Topics Map > Canvas > Canvas for Instructors > Quizzes
Student Survey for Courses Moved Online in Spring 2020
This article provides sample questions and a link for instructors to import a survey directly into their Canvas sites to solicit feedback about the courses they moved online in Spring 2020.
Having moved your course online in Spring 2020, you may want to solicit feedback from your students about how the course is going. This may be especially important if you are new to teaching online. CETL has developed a set of survey questions that you can use as-is or adapt to meet the specific needs of your course.
- Ask your students for feedback within the first few weeks back from spring break
- Request feedback specifically related to the changes you made moving your course online
- Convey to students what you hope to gain from the survey
- Keep the survey voluntary and anonymous for students
- Make reasonable changes to your course if many students identify similar issues
- Address student feedback in a Canvas Announcement or a webcam video
Online Instruction Survey
- Data from this survey is only available to those who have access to your course site
- Anonymous surveys in Canvas are not truly anonymous
- According to the Canvas documentation: "The anonymous option can be enabled or disabled before or after a survey has received submissions, allowing a user with sufficient permissions to see a student's identity and responses. To collect fully anonymous survey responses, you may want to use a third-party survey tool."
- Log into Canvas
- Click Commons in the Canvas global navigation menu
- You may be asked to "Authorize" if you have never accessed the Canvas Commons before
- You should see only one result with the image of an empty classroom
- Go to the course site in Canvas that you imported the survey into
- Click on Quizzes in the course navigation menu
- Online Instruction Survey will now appear under "Surveys"
- Post an announcement in Canvas requesting student feedback
- Add the survey to your Home page in Canvas
- Assign a due date for students to complete the survey