Recording a Collaborate Ultra session
This article provide instructors with step-by-step instructions and best practices for recording Collaborate Ultra sessions
Why should I record Collaborate sessions?
If Collaborate is used to present information (e.g. presentations, guest speakers, exam reviews), it’s a good idea to record the Collaborate sessions.
Recorded sessions are beneficial when:
- Students have technical issues and can’t access the session while it is happening
- Students are ill and unable to attend the session in real-time
- Students would like to review course content in order to thoroughly learn and understand
How do I record a Collaborate session?
After entering the Collaborate session as a Moderator, which is the default Teacher role in Canvas:
- Open the Session menu and select Start Recording.
- The recording camera appears on with a red dot while recording is in progress.
- To finish recording, open the Session menu and select Stop Recording.
For step-by-step help, visit the Recording the Collaborate Meeting in the Step-by-Step Guide for Instructors Using Collaborate Ultra in Canvas
How do I give my students access to Collaborate recordings?
Instructors can direct students to the tutorial for Viewing a Collaborate Ultra Recorded Session
What if I want to direct my students to a specific Collaborate recording?
Instructors can share the link to specific Collaborate recordings on the Home area of their Canvas course site by adding the recording link to a Page.
Step #1 - Copy the recording link
From within the course site in Canvas, click Collaborate Ultra in the course navigation menu. Click the Collaborate Menu icon. Click the Recordings tab.
Choose the recording you want to view. Click the Recording Options button. Select the Watch now option.
Step #2 - Add a Page Placeholder to you Canvas Module
Use these instructions to add an Assignment to Modules: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26329-how-do-i-add-course-content-as-module-items — with the following modification:
- In the “Add Item to Module” section of this tutorial, select Page.
- In the “Add New Item” section, enter the name of the Page. This will be the link that the students click on to go to the Collaborate recording.
- You can skip the “Upload File” and “Add Existing Item” sections of the tutorial.
Step #3 - Paste the recording URL into the Rich Content Editor within the Page
Once the Page placeholder is created, click into the Page and edit the Page details. Use these instructions for setting the Assignment details: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-create-a-hyperlink-in-the-Rich-Content-Editor-as-an/ta-p/732 — with the following modifications:
- In the “Insert Link” section of this tutorial, paste the link that you copied in Step #1 of this tutorial