Topics Map > Canvas > Canvas for Instructors
Canvas Access - How do I enroll UW System for-credit students into my course?
Users across the UW System can self-enroll into Canvas courses at any UW System institution. For-credit courses can have enrollment updated by way of crosslisting across institutions. UW-Madison students can be invited.
Students from UW institutions except UW-Madison
Students from all UW institutions except UW-Madison will enroll in their collaborative program courses at their respective institutions. These courses will be combined into the institution that will be officially offering and teaching the course. The entire student roster, as well as the instructor(s) of record, will transfer over to the new course.
If you are the instructor for a collaborative program course at UWM and need sections crosslisted, contact email@example.com for assistance.
Students from UW-Madison
Students from UW-Madison need to follow a different set of instructions to obtain access to courses at other UW institutions. This process involves generating and distributing a secret self-enrollment URL. Any instructor with the role of Teacher in a collaborative program course can generate a secret URL for student self-enrollment. Instructors of collaborative programs will need an email list of UW-Madison students in order to email the self-enrollment URL.
NOTE: Self-enrollment URLs automatically add users in student roles. Any instructors from UW-Madison should be manually enrolled into the course with a Teacher role.
Generating the secret self-enrollment URLNavigate to the Canvas course that the UW-Madison users need access to:
- In the course navigation, go to the "Settings" link.
- At the top of the Settings page, click on the "Course Details" tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the course details page and click the "more options" link.
- Click the check box titled "Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL."
- Once the self-enroll check box has been enabled, click the "Update Course Details" button at the bottom of the page.
- The page will refresh after clicking the update button and the Secret self-enrollment URL will appear.
- Copy the secret URL and paste it in an email to the UW-Madison users who will need access to the course.
Once UW-Madison users receive and click the secret self-enrollment link, they will be automatically added as a student into the course. UW-Madison students can login by visiting the UWM Canvas Continuing Education site (https://uwm.edu/canvas/continuing-ed/). Click the "Login with your UWM or UW System login" link.