Topics Map > Canvas > External Tools (LTIs)
Topics Map > Canvas > Governance
Digital Learning Environment - About External Tools and Tool Change Requests
Aside from the tools supported by UWM (by CETL, or by other offices) a library of tools are approved for use by instructors. These tools have been approved through both the UW System External Tool vetting process, and the UWM IT Procurement process. These tools have varying ranges of support, and a varying frequency of use.
Instructors can use the UWM Canvas Tools link in any course (Canvas - External Tools - Request for a Tool to be Added to My Course) to request a tool, and to browse the complete list of tools that are available at UWM. Some tools are Opt-In, where submitting a request triggers a business process to add a tool to a course. Other tools are always available. Still others are "by special request only" because enabling the tool requires some sort of additional business process to be carried out before the tool can be made available.
Who can request an existing external tool to be added to a course?
- Instructors may request for a tool to be added to any course they have access to.
- CETL Support Commons partners in the schools and colleges may request for tools to be added as they represent the school/colleges interests and with the instructor's intent.
- Deans, associate deans, chairs, school heads and department managers may request for tools to be added for a course, an entire department subaccount, or an entire school/college where applicable.
What tools are available?
- UW System Administration maintains a list of tools which institutions may add to Canvas after institution business processes are carried out.
- Tools which are generally available through action by UW System Administration, or which have been cleared by the UWM IT Procurement process are listed in UWM Canvas Tools. The UWM list of external tools is also available outside of Canvas as a reference for support staff.
Resources to share with instructors
- Canvas - External Tools - Request for a Tool to be Added to My Course
- UWM KB articles related to external tools
Who should instructors contact for assistance with external tools?
- Supported by the CETL Support Commons and the UWM Help Desk.
- Canvas including Commons, ePortfolio, UDOIT, and Atomic Search.
- Kaltura (a.k.a. My Media, Mediaspace, KMS GO), but not Kaltura Classroom.
- Zoom for Instruction
- Open Educational Resource tools: H5P, Hypothesis, PressBooks.
- Student Response Systems: PointSolutions and Mentimeter
- Proctoring: Proctorio, but not LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Respondus Exam Editor
- Supported by the UWM Help Desk primarily
- Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Teams integrated with Canvas
- Zoom for non-instructional events
- Supported by Classroom Services
- Kaltura Classroom
- All other tools are supported by the vendor or publisher for both instructors and students.
- In all cases, CETL supports the integration between Canvas and the tool.
The CETL Support Commons supports the integration between tools and Canvas.