D2L Grades - Export Grades from D2L
Learn how to export a grade or entire gradebook from D2L.
Grades, including the original point values, grade scheme symbols and ‘out of’ grades can be exported as a CSV file. Exported scores can be also opened in Excel and other spreadsheet applications, where they can be edited and re-imported into an existing grade item, or into a new grade item.
Grades are FERPA-protected information and should kept on university-managed computers and services. For more information on best practices and procedures for retention, contact UWM Records Management.
How to export grades
- Login to D2L and click the course you wish to export grades from in My Courses.
- Click the Grades link in the courses navbar.
- At the top of the Grades page, click the Export button.
- Select who to export grade items for.
- The Export Grade Items For dropdown menu can be set to "All users" or "Groups". In most circumstances, "All users" is appropriate.
- If "Groups" is chosen, a second menu appears that lets you choose the appropriate group.
- If you change this field, click the Apply button.
- "Both" is appropriate for archiving.
- If you will be importing data back into D2L, Username is preferred.
- If you will be importing data back into D2L, select only Points.
- The Weighted and Grade Scheme options are most suitable for archiving.
- For archiving purposes, choose all three checkboxes.
- Typically, first name and last name are adequate. Delete these columns from the CSV file if you intend to import grades back to D2L.
- Click the checkbox above the list of grade items to select all grade items.
- Click the grey category to export only those items.
- Click the checkbox to the left of a grade item to export only that grade.
- Click Export to CSV to produce a text file that can be manipulated in Excel or other tools.
- Click Export to Excel to produce an Excel spreadsheet file.
- CSV is preferred due to its versatility and ease of access. Excel files can not be re-imported into D2L.
- Grade items of type Text cannot be exported.
- Selectbox grade items will not export their label. Instead, only the lowest percentage in the scheme range is exported.