D2L Course Management - Copy Course Content, Information and Resources ("Components") Between Courses
Learn how to copy the contents of a course into another course. This is commonly done when re-offering a course from semester to semester.
In D2L, a course website is created for most course sections every semester. Instructors are free to copy information between courses to revise the course and offer it to a new cohort of students without fear of unintentionally overwriting information or losing studet information.
This is done using the Import / Export / Copy Components tool.
Before you start
- Consider not copying groups. Information from previous semesters can make working with the current semester more difficult and cumbersome.
- These instructions are written to copy from one course at a time. However, technically, you can copy from multiple courses at the same time. This is not advised.
Copy a course to another course
- Login to D2L and click the name of the course you wish to copy to.
- Click the Edit Course link in your courses navbar.
- Click the Import / Export / Copy Components link. This is typically found under the Site Resources heading.
- Click "Copy Components from another Org Unit".
- Click the "Include protected resources" checkbox.
- Click the "Search for offering" button. A new window will open.
- Click the search button (magnifying glass icon) to list all available courses to copy from.
- You can also enter search terms to narrow down the list of courses.
- Alternatively, click the Select Components button to choose parts of the origin course to copy forward.
- Click the checkbox next to the components of the origin course to choose individual parts to bring to the new course.
- Click "Select individual items to copy" to choose specific parts of a component to copy.
- Click the Continue button to choose items.
- Click the Finish button to initiate the copy.
After the copy
- Change dates, deadlines and visibility by using the Manage Dates tool.
D2L Course Management - About the Manage Dates Tool
- Adjust the Submission Views of Quizzes and Surveys.
- Delete the "Overall Comments" for gradebook items.
- Adjust the treating of ungraded items in the gradebook.
- Review and delete unnecessary groups to reduce clutter.