D2L My Courses - About Course Creation and Course Requests
Learn about the when, why and how of course creation in a non-technical context.
What is a course?
A course website (or simply a course) in D2L is a website that is accessible to students and instructors assigned to one or more sections of a course in PAWS. A course may also be created at the request of an instructor or university staff for a wide array of special needs.
Who has access to a course?
Students and instructors are automatically added to courses if they are associated with the course section in PAWS.
Your college/school's support staff, the UWM Help Desk, administrators and CETL may have access to courses exclusively to aid in the use of the course or to troubleshoot.
Anyone else involved with the course will need to be manually granted access through the Classlist.
When are courses created for the next semester?
In general, courses are made in D2L one month after students can enroll into courses for any given semester. Courses are made automatically in that instructors do not need to request them. However, the process of making courses is a manual in nature.
When the manual course creation process is undertaken, it can take a great deal of time to complete.
- UWinteriM courses are created in one day.
- Summer courses may take several days.
- Fall and Spring courses can take a week or more.
In general, the following course numbers are not made to avoid clutter for the instructor:
- x89 – Commonly used for internship courses,
- x97 – Commonly used for Study Abroad courses,
- x99 – Commonly used for independent study courses,
- 59x – Commonly used for capstone or thesis courses,
- 79x – Commonly used for seminar courses,
- 88x – Commonly used for degree candidate courses,
- 89x – Commonly used for thesis or research courses,
- 99x – Commonly used for doctoral and independent work courses.
As with any complex system, there are exceptions to this list of exceptions.
What if I am missing a course after semester courses are made?
- In D2L, look for the Instructor Tools widget along the right. Then, click the Submit a Course Request link and choose the option that closest describes what you would like.
- If you do not see the Instructor Tools widget in D2L, you can go directly to the Course Request form (http://uwm.edu/cetl/services/d2l/new-course-req/).
If at all possible, use the from from within D2L to reduce the information to be filled out.
How long does it take to process a course request?
- From contractual period start to the start of the semester: every effort is made to complete course requests the same day.
- During the manual course creation process for a semester: all other course request processing is on-hold. Any pending requests are performed after the semester courses are made.
- All other times: course requets are typically processed within 3 business days of submission.
Once a request is processed, it can take up to 24 hours for the change to be reflected in D2L.
My course is stacked, combined or cross-listed. How can I make D2L reflect this?
Can I request a course that isn't in PAWS?
Yes, non-PAWS courses can be requested at any time using the Instructor Tools widget or the Course Request form.