Topics Map > D2L/Brightspace > Access
D2L Access - How to View Student Information as an Academic Adviser
Learn how to view student progress and grades as an Academic Adviser
About Accessing Student Information
Academic Adviser special accounts view student information by entering a course. Once in the course, the Auditor widget provides a link to all students the adviser has been granted access to. Click the name of a student to view the progress of that student.
- Regardless of where the Auditor widget is viewed, all students the Academic Adviser can see are always listed.
- If a student is not enrolled in a course, their name is grayed out and is not clickable.
- Students enrolled in a course will be clickable.
- Clicking a student name link shows the user progress for the student.
Before You Begin
- Ensure you have an Academic Adviser account in D2L and ensure it has been granted access to students. If not, your unit's director or an administrator must request one for you on your behalf, and a list of students to be advised must be provided. See D2L Access - Granting Academic Advisers Access to Student Information for more information.
- Do you know the D2L course websites for your students?
- Academic Adviser accounts can search for course websites in D2L, but it helps to know the term, subject and section.
- Students may also choose to share the direct link to courses with you.
Logging Into D2L
- From the D2L Login website (http://d2l.uwm.edu), click the non-ePanther button.
- Enter your account username and password.
- Click the Login button.
Finding a Course and Viewing Student User Progress
To look at a student's progress, you must visit the course of a student. There is no central location to view all students' progress.
Search for Student Progress by Student
- After logging in, click the Administrator (Cog) icon in the minibar at the top of the webpage.
- Click the Course Management link.
- A search box will appear with several options.
- In the search box, enter the 4-digit UWM term code. Codes typically start with a 2 and usually (but not always) end in a 1, 2, 6 or 9. Fall 2015's 4-digit term code is 2159. Winterim 2017 is 2171.
- Click the checkbox to the left of "With this user".
- Click the pull-down menu below "With this user" and select Student if not already chosen. This box is the Role menu.
- In the text box to the right of the Role menu, enter the ePantherID of the student to view.
- Click the Search button.
- A list of courses for the student appears based around the search performed. Click a course name to view the course.
Search for Student Progress by Course
- After logging in, in the My Courses widget, click the Search for Courses text box, and enter the search criteria for a course.
- Example: If Pat Lee is enrolled in INFOST 330 section 2, search for INFOST 330. All courses will appear.
Viewing Student Progress
- On the course homepage, look in the Auditors widget. Click the Audit Users link.
- Students that are enrolled in the course are highlighted blue and are clickable. Click the name of a student to access the student's progress information. This view is referred to as User Progress.
What Kind of Information Can I See?
- User Progress information for the student via the Auditors widget
- Grade information
- Content viewership (all times are approxmate)
- Discussion activity
- Dropbox assignmnt activity
- Quiz progress and completion
- Checklist progress
- Survey progress
- Login history
- The student view of News from the Course Home page.
- Course content via the Content link, or via the student's User Progress
Find Previously Visited Courses
As courses are accessed, they will appear by default in My Courses. This feature is designed to make it easy to revisit frequently accessed courses.
In addition to this feature, courses can be "pinned".
- From the D2L homepage (My Home), click the chevron (down arrow) to the right of "Select a course" at the top of the page.
- Search for a course.
- Once a course is found, click the pin icon to the right of the course name.