Topics Map > D2L/Brightspace > Service Support
D2L - Minimum System Requirements
Learn the minimum system requirements for hardware and software to use Brightspace.
The following computer browsers are supported for use with Brightspace 10.6.0.
- Google Chrome (latest version, preferred)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version, preferred)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 and 11
- Microsoft Edge (not recommended)
- View the Microsoft Edge Known Issues list for important information on Edge limitations.
- Apple Safari (6 thru latest, not recommended)
- Android 4.0 or later, using the Android browser
- Apple iOS 6-9.x, using the Safari browser
- Microsoft Surface with Windows 8, using Internet Explorer 11
- BlackBerry mobile phones with BlackBerryOS 7 or 10, using the BlackBerry browser
Recommended Browser Settings
Note: some of these features may ask for a server address or URL. The server address for UWM's Brightspace site is https://uwm.courses.wisconsin.edu.
- Ensure cookies are enabled. Do not use Brightspace in a private browsing or "incognito" mode.
- Ensure pop-ups are allowed for Brightspace.
Recommended Internet Connections
While Brightspace is usable via dial-up, high-speed internet is strongly recommended.
- wired connections
- Computer lab
- Residence hall networks
- direct, wired connection to home modem or gateway
- UWM WiFi, PROWLnet or Eduroam
If using wifi at home, ensure your signal is stable. Shakey signals can cause problems when submitting quizzes, uploading files or viewing content.
Additional Recommended Tools
In addition to the above software, additional tools are recommended for the smooth operation of many Brightspace courses.
- Java - some areas of Brigthspace, and some instructor tools rely on Java.
- Adobe Flash - presentations or activities offered by instructors may require Flash.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - while most browsers can display PDF files, having Adobe Acrobat Reader installed enables form editing, PDF presentations and other advanced features.