Combining an existing Zoom account with a UWM-licensed account
This tutorial will help users solve the "Warning User does not exist" error message, and explain the process of consolidating a "personal" Zoom account, that uses a UWM email address, with an UWM-issued Zoom license.
Whe you access Zoom through your Canvas course site for the first time, a Zoom account, with a UWM license, will be automatically created for you.
However, a new UWM license will not be automatically created if you setup a Zoom account using your UWM email address, at some point in the past, prior to September 2021. When you attempt to access Zoom through your Canvas course navigation, you will receive a "Warning User does not exist" error message.
Because of your existing Zoom account, you'll need to take a few additional steps to combine your current Zoom account (which uses your UWM email address) with the licensed account offered through Canvas by UW-System.
- Go to the UW-System Zoom portal: https://wisconsin-edu.zoom.us/
- Pull down the menu and select UW-Milwaukee from the drop-down.
- Log in using your UWM email address and password
Once logged in to the Wisconsin Zoom portal, follow the prompts.
- If you would like the meetings, recordings, and your Personal Room (created prior to consolidation) to be moved for access in Canvas, select the “Join the Account” option.
- If you would like the meetings, recordings, and your Personal Room to remain “personal” and separate from your UWM Zoom account, select the “Change Email Address” option.
If you choose to combine your current Zoom account (which uses your UWM email address) with the licensed account offered through Canvas by UW-System:
- You will receive the "Premium" license without paying for this licensing level, including no meeting time limit, polling, and Cloud recording (amongst others).
- You will only see your activity and not the activity of others at UWM.
- You will see all past activity, as well as any meetings you scheduled before the accounts were combined.
- If you had a paid license, you should also get a refund for your subscription cost.
If you choose to keep your personal account separate, all past activity, and meetings will be available in the account that uses your personal email address. A new account uses your UWM email address will be created when you log into Canvas and access the Zoom navigation item.
- Log in to Canvas using your ePanther username and password.
- Navigate to the Canvas course site where you'd like to use Zoom.
- Click the Zoom (UWM) navigation item and proceed with setting up meetings.