Combining an existing Zoom account with a UWM-licensed account
This tutorial will explain the process of accepting the invitation for a new UWM-issued Zoom license.
Zoom has been selected by UW System to replace Collaborate Ultra for instruction-related web conferencing. UW-System's goal is to have Zoom available through UW-System for all campuses by the fall 2021 semester. However, we are able to provide early access to Zoom by issuing UWM Zoom licenses for instructors teaching in summer 2021.
If you are an instructor using Zoom for a summer 2021 session, a Zoom account, with a UWM license, will be automatically created when you access Zoom from your course site.
However, a new UWM license will not be automatically created if:
- You know that at some point in the past, you setup a Zoom account using your UWM email address
- You attempt to access the Zoom (UWM) item in your Canvas course navigation and receive a "Warning User does not exist" error message
Because of your existing free Zoom account, an administrator must manually provision a new Zoom license, which will combine your current account with the UWM licensed account.
When these accounts are combined:
- You will receive the "Premium" license without paying for this licensing level, including no meeting time limit, polling, and Cloud recording (amongst others).
- You will only see your activity and not the activity of others at UWM.
- You will see all past activity, as well as any meetings you scheduled before the accounts were combined.
- If you had a paid license, you should also get a refund for your subscription cost.
If you are teaching a course in the summer 2021 session, you will received an email on Monday, May 25, 2021. This email is from "Zoom <email@example.com>" and has the "Zoom account invitation" subject line.
You MUST follow the setup steps contained in this account invitation email. If you do not activate your account within 30 days, by JUNE 23, 2021, you will not be able to use Zoom in Canvas.
- When you open the email, click the Approve the Request button.
A web browser will open and display the "By accepting this invitation, you are switching to a new Zoom account" page.
- Click the Sign into your Current Account button.
- The browser will display the Zoom login page. Click the SSO button.
- If prompted, enter “uwm-edu” (without the quotes) in the Company Domain field.
- Click the Continue button.
- Click the Sign In to Profile Page button.
- Click the "I Acknowledge and Switch" button.
- Sign in to through UWM 1Login using you ePanther credentials.